Rudis Birthing...

Greenstar

So i have a very pregant rudis and she hasn't eaten, to my knowledge, since i got her yesterday. I know it is nothing to really worry about, but the other
one is eating like mad. I took a few pictures and I was wonder how long it is going to be till she gives birth? Will she stop eating before she gives birth? Is there a particular time she should give birth during the day? When I was doing the photoshoot both of my females walked accross the plants and started sunning themselves in the light coming through the open window. Would it be too stressful to take them outside every morning to bask? I am going today to grab a few fruit fly cultures from East Bay, both hydie and Melanogastor. Also I maintian a good sized compost pile out back and there is always a large numder of small fruit eating bugs that is buzzing around the pile,namely gnats and wild ffs, especially when there is fresh melon in it. Would it be safe to take the babies out there even one at a time to let them feed on wild type bugs for an hour or so each day to supplement their normal staple fare?

Out of the all the geckos, dartfrogs, mantellas, snakes, and other herps I have kept, I got to say that chams definitely are the most intresting.

Danny

Last edited:
Are you sure that's not a tennis ball with feet?

I took a few pictures and I was wonder how long it is going to be till she gives birth?

Couldn't tell you. I've had some montanes that looked like they were going to burst for months and months. Hopefully soon; both for her's and your's sakes. I've noticed that my female ovoviviparous chameleons gain lots of weight almost immediately after conception and "look" gravid right away. (Beyond the obvious colour indicators) Brandy has noticed this in her rudis as well.

Will she stop eating before she gives birth?

Yes. Or will only eat VERY small amounts. VERY small.

Is there a particular time she should give birth during the day?

Normally in the morning after they've warmed up. 10am - 12pm for me. You will notice they get very active a day or two before they give birth. Usually they are done birthing quite quickly - a few hours - leave her alone while she's doing this.

Would it be too stressful to take them outside every morning to bask?

No. It's good for them.

Would it be safe to take the babies out there even one at a time to let them feed on wild type bugs for an hour or so each day to supplement their normal staple fare?

Yes. It's good for them.

Have fun!
Trace

Trace thanks for the response you covered every question I could think of. Now for the next question after I get the babies stable and growing which species do I get next, fuellborni, ellioti, Mt. Merus, bitans, or hoenhlli?

Danny

Heya Danny!

I was looking at your pictures again and you have to laugh at the strange basking - and even moreso sleeping - positions these poor gravid ladies do because they are so bottom heavy. Poor things. Sooooo any babies yet?

To be perfectly frank, I'd get F. minor or F. campani. :D

I know through both public and private conversations, you seem to like the look of and/or are interested in the bitaeniatus related critters. You can't go wrong then with the bitans, ellioti or ho's. Care requirements are almost the same as rudis and you would do well with any in your montane room. Like myself, you may enjoy the comparisons and contrasts between the species.

You could always get a male rudis sternfeldi and try breeding multi-generations of them. Can you name anyone that has gotten beyond F1? I can name some but there certainly isn't enough! Not for the amount of WC chams that are exported annually. This is a sore point with me and one of the big reasons that I'm not as ummmmm involved with the people/hobby anymore. I would not be sad if all chameleon imports stopped tomorrow.

I really haven't worked with the Fuelli's or Meru's extensively to offer any insights with them. They will be a bit harder to keep and breed but not impossibly so. Werneri are also nice. Once established, they are hardy, personable and stay small. My older male is an absolute riot!

What do you think of deremensis or fischeri?

Have fun! Keep me posted on any births.
Cheers,
Trace

Trace,

Yeah you are right I really like the montane species, I am seriously considering selling off most of my gecko collection to make room for more chams. I am more intrested in the smaller species and though fisheri aren't the biggest of chams, they do need more room than the smaller ones I currently have. Another things I really enjoy from a chameleon is live births, though it kills me to wait for a gravid female to birth it beats wait for eggs too hatch or worse yet the eggs going bad in the final months.

Still no babies yet, though she definitely is acting different, she sits with her head lookign toward the sky and her butg facing down and doesn't move all that much, so hopefully tomorrow or the next day will be the day.

Just an intesting note, I met a guy who breeds hos up in the santa cruz mountains, he keeps a few pair and says his breeding tends to be sporadic having some years with every female having 2 even 3 clutches and other years were only one female gives birth. The wierd thing he keeps them outside year round and only brings them in once the temps reach 36 degrees at night, he even admitted to them being left out during a light frost and not loosing a single animal.

Danny

Back
Top Bottom