Rudis babies

Wow! You've certainly presented a challenge haven't you. :D If I had to hazard a guess from those pics I'd say (from top to bottom):
1: Male
2: Female
3: Male
4: Female
5: Male

I curious if my fellow "cool montane" enthusiasts share the same opinion. Trevor? Tim? Brandy? Dean? Anyone?

Again, you've done a great job with raising those rudis babies dondeb562. Keep up the good work.
Cheers,
t

close T this is what i think at this point

1: female
2: Female
3: Male
4: Female
5: Male

they look good nice and cheeky just like i like them

They are beautiful. I am getting a female rudis soon (who I believe to be pregnant)...they don't look easy to sex by any means :) But definitely a fascinating little chameleon.

Thanks everyone. They have been a pleasure here! We love them. It will for sure be hard to let any go especially with this being our first clutch of chams. I have raised them all thus far in a small screen cage with two plants and branches. They have food all the time (during the day) and are very healthy eaters. They love their fruit flies. I started buying 2 weeks old crickets fo them a few weeks ago. I do not see them eating them, but the crickets dissapear from the cage so I am assuming they are eating those as well. I see them all eat fruit flies since the flies are so slow and easy to catch.
As far as looking at the pix and telling the sex, am I looking for a bigger "bulge" near the vent area?

btw- Brandy, you sexed them male verses female the same way I would have because of the white stripes on the face. So maybe that is a indication of sex...?

i was looking strictly at tail base but i will look through all my photos see if i can see this in all the babies i have had

Dondeb..., here is what I am seeing. Top to bottom. Based on tail base. They all seem to have similar markings on their faces, and as such I wouldn't consider them diagnostic yet.

Female
Female
Male
Male
Male

They look really well, good job!
T.

The first pic is of the smallest of the clutch. I dont know if that makes much of a difference. That was is pretty small compaired to the rest.
So they turned 6 weeks yesterday, so if I would wait for color, to determinie for sure, at what age would I be able to figure it out? Would the females begin to have a more uniform appearance to them? Would the males start getting more yellow on the sidees?
Thanks for everyones help and opinions!! I greatly appreciate it!! Oh and thanks for the compliments! :D

Here a couple new pix of the rudis babies. They are going through their first shed!!
IMG_8170.jpg

IMG_8166.jpg

IMG_8162.jpg

ok, more pix! lol! They turned 8 weeks yesterday! As you can see in one of the pix there is one turning really green now!

IMG_8228.jpg

IMG_8229.jpg

IMG_8230.jpg

IMG_8232.jpg

IMG_8233.jpg

IMG_8234.jpg

hey all, rudis babies are now 10 weeks old and FINALLY on 2 week old crickets, and actually eating them along with small pheonix worms (fed in a bowl) and fruit flies. So what I was going to ask to the other rudis breeders, what is a good age to start placing these guys? I still do not know the sex, but I am going to hold onto two of the big ones that have not shown any green coloration eyt in hopes they are girls. So is it safe to start placing them or should I wait another 2 weeks?

Hey I just placed my red rudis at 3 months. The reason I placed them is they are all eating 1/4in crickets with no problems. Its hard to say a good time to place them. I wait untill they seem like they are on a good growth spurt. And eating strong. Tim

Here are a few of them. The first one is basically the size all of them are except for 3, the second one is the big fat one and the last is the smallest one. Hope this gives an idea on how big they are. My jackson babies are almost the same size as theses guys and they are barely 3 weeks old!

IMG_8366.jpg

IMG_8358.jpg

IMG_8356.jpg

Yea, I know what you mean they grow slow, real slow. I would say they wont even double that size in 2 months. I have had 1 clutch before this from the same female. She came in gravid as a WC and they grew at the same speed but here is a pic of mine at 3 months.

b2.jpg

so yours are a few weeks older and about the same size as my bigger ones it looks like. So you think they are good to go or should I wait another 2 weeks?

oh and yeah they are slow growers cause they do not max out very big. I keep thinking they were going to grow fast like the other chams, but not at all. My hubby said he can totally see they have doubled in size since they were born, but he can't tell on the jacksons which I can tell looking at them they are HUGE already...

Last edited:
If my babies are going to another advanced or experienced owner, then they usually go earlier like 8 weeks of age for instance. Otherwise I'll hold off until about 12 weeks of age before I sell. Depends on the situation.

Waiting another 2 weeks certainly won't hurt.

Cheers,
t

Back
Top Bottom