Roaming about...without UVB????

ronnie

Hi all....as you may already know my girl Trixxi likes to get out and about!i have a roaming area that she uses and she can climb in and out of her viv as she pleases during the day...when she is out she is warm enough as i have the basking light moved so she can bask in a spot but what i am worried about is the amount of UVB she is doing without when she is out of her viv...in the U.K it is not sunny enough to have her outside so she is inside on the windowsill...she spends a good few hours there and so is not getting UVB from her tube in the viv...anyway my question really IS!! how many hours of UVB does she really need?? and will this amount of time away from her UVB bulb do her any harm??sorry about the long post:rolleyes:

According to some recent research Ronnie, chams know and can control how much UV exposure they get, apparently they have been shown to sometimes bask exclusively for uv exposure.
As far as how much she needs is concerned, with artificial sources the more the better
(given the tube outputs an exceptable level of both uva/uvb.).
Even in the viv (unless they cant escape it) they dont get uv all the time anyway, most tubes in the 5.0 level output extends only about 6 inches anyway.

Simply use every sunny (or just warm) day you get! :)

My guy free ranges in the living room (and has for 3.5 years) - his UVB light really only covers one spot, and he's probably under it less than he is elsewhere. His bones are strong and healthy. To reiterate jojackson, I think they know when they need it and where to get it.

Well, as you seem to know where she likes to hang out, why not put your UV light over that spot? As long as she gets some daily exposure and you are gutloading well she may be fine. Maybe some dark colder days of the week keep her in under the light rather than free ranging. See, she's training YOU very well!

Back
Top Bottom