Roaches on sleeping cham

komyers

Hi! My Cham went to bed about an hour ago and I just checked on him cause I like to see where he falls asleep and I saw a Dubia roach on his back. We normally cup feed but sometimes will let one loose so he can hunt. We ran out of roaches yesterday or the day before so I didn’t expect to see one but I can’t get it off of him because of his sleeping position and he’s in the back of the cage. He got pissed when I tried (he shed today so he was irritated anyway) but I want to make sure the roach won’t bite at him while he’s sleeping.

Hi! My Cham went to bed about an hour ago and I just checked on him cause I like to see where he falls asleep and I saw a Dubia roach on his back. We normally cup feed but sometimes will let one loose so he can hunt. We ran out of roaches yesterday or the day before so I didn’t expect to see one but I can’t get it off of him because of his sleeping position and he’s in the back of the cage. He got pissed when I tried (he shed today so he was irritated anyway) but I want to make sure the roach won’t bite at him while he’s sleeping.
they can bite his skin and its really harmless unless they do it for a while but for him its better to have your skin bit off than getting disrupted from your sleep haha

they can bite his skin and its really harmless unless they do it for a while but for him its better to have your skin bit off than getting disrupted from your sleep haha
So if its moving on him AND CAN bite him I would imagine it would ALSO be disrupting his sleep, No? Now I'm certainly not a chameleon😂 but I know for A FACT, if that shit was on me, it would drive me BONKERS and I wouldn't get an ounce of Zzz's

that's just my 2 cents

🍻🍻🍻

I would get it off him, it may bother him for a second but better then "bugging"him all night?🤷‍♂️ hahah
I couldn’t get it. It was too hard to reach and he started turning red I was like fine ok get your beauty sleep. He will be waking up soon so hopefully it’s off of him.

Id be more worried about crickets, those are the "omnivores", roaches dont eat "meat" else we wouldnt need cleaner crews :)
Okay thanks! I did hear that crickets will bite in their sleep but wasn’t sure about roaches. He’s up this morning! No idea where the roach is but he seems fine. Just a mad shedding boy

Id be more worried about crickets, those are the "omnivores", roaches dont eat "meat" else we wouldnt need cleaner crews :)

I agree, but even crickets are pretty much harmless given food available to them. Roaches are definitely omnivores and some predatory(americans, lobsters, red runners I've all witnessed attacking other insects). I'd still not worry about roaches, they are one of the least bitey insects you can have heh.

In the wild when some chameleons get startled at night they will drop out of the tree to escape, my worry would be the roaches crawling on them would trigger this response and possibly hurting themself when they fall. I have not herd of this happening to captive chameleons, but that thought is always in my mind and now its in yours ;).

I clear out any roaches I find in my cage, about once a week I go in at night with a flashlight and collect what I can find.

Back
Top Bottom