roaches and silkworms

Dwinger

ok ive used the search button and found nothing so far. how many silkworms can i feed my adult panther cham? also how many roaches could i feed him in one day?

ok ive used the search button and found nothing so far. how many silkworms can i feed my adult panther cham? also how many roaches could i feed him in one day?
Howdy,

I feed adult Panthers and Veileds 2-3 food items every other day. That might be one large silkworm along with one medium dubia roach. I think the best way to gauge how much to feed a fully grown adult chameleon is to monitor their weight and their appearance. I also think a healthy adult chameleon is more likely to stay healthy by not being overfed and maybe even slightly underfed.

Charting example:

Weight13.jpg

How old is it? male or female? What temp are you keeping it at? How often do you feed? How big are the silkworms and roaches you are offering? what type of roaches? what else do you offer?

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/food-diary/
In an average month, one of my adult male panther chamelons eats something like: 15 crickets, 30 larva (superworms, butterworms, silkworms, mealworms), 8 stick insects, 4 terrestrial isopods, 4 or 5 roaches (of varying types), and maybe one or two other things.
You can see details of what I feed my adult male panthers in my food diary blog:

I feed what seems an appropriate amount to essentially maintain their current adult weight and normal activity levels, given a stable temp. I weight the chameleons periodically, and also watch the fat pads on their heads and the girth of their tails for clues.

Last edited:
How old is it? male or female? What temp are you keeping it at? How often do you feed? How big are the silkworms and roaches you are offering? what type of roaches? what else do you offer?

In an average month, one of my adult male panther chamelons eats something like: 15 crickets, 30 larva (superworms, butterworms, silkworms, mealworms), 8 stick insects, 4 terrestrial isopods, 4 or 5 roaches (of varying types), and maybe one or two other things.
You can see details of what I feed my adult male panthers in my food diary blog:

I feed what seems an appropriate amount to essentially maintain their current adult weight and normal activity levels, given a stable temp. I weight the chameleons periodically, and also watch the fat pads on their heads and the girth of their tails for clues.

male 2 years old temp is about 80 85 to 90 in the basking light i feed him every two days. im only on crickets right now.

male 2 years old temp is about 80 85 to 90 in the basking light i feed him every two days. im only on crickets right now.

So if you currently give him say about 3 or 4 crickets every other day, you might give him 3 or 4 crickets one day, then give him two nice silkworms the next feeding day, and then maybe three cricket-sized roaches the next feeding day, then back to crickets, then maybe something else for the next feeding day. Or you could mix it up like two crickets and one silk for a meal, a silky and two roaches the next meal, two crickets and two butterworms the next meal.... feed what seems an appropriate amount to essentially maintain his current adult weight - its probably better to under feed than over feed.

safe roaches?

hi just wondering if anybody could tel me which of these will be toxic to my cham?

Deaths-head Cockroach (Blaberus discoidales)
Cuban Burrowing Cockroach (Bysotria fumigata)
Four Spotted Cockroach (Eublaberus distani)
Porcelain Cockroach (Gyna lurida)
Ethiopian Crickets (Homoeogryllus indicus)

cheers
jamie

hi just wondering if anybody could tel me which of these will be toxic to my cham?

Deaths-head Cockroach (Blaberus discoidales)
Cuban Burrowing Cockroach (Bysotria fumigata)
Four Spotted Cockroach (Eublaberus distani)
Porcelain Cockroach (Gyna lurida)
Ethiopian Crickets (Homoeogryllus indicus)

cheers
jamie

You should start your own thread, you'll get more responses without hijacking someone else's thread.

Back
Top Bottom