Roach sighting ends roommateship

FaunaBgirl

My roommate saw a roach in my cham's feeder tank and I thought everything was sorta cool. But apparently, she thought about it, reported me to my landlord and is moving out. They threaten written proceedings. Can they do that?

Sorry to hear you are having problems. The answer is going to depend on your lease. If you violated their housing policy, then yes, they have every right to remove you and charge you for damages. If they allow pets, and it doesn't specify or restrict the type and they are threatening proceeding due to the bugs, then you might have a chance because that would be discrimination. It sounds like your roommate was already dissatisfied and simply used this as the launch point for the whole affair. Did she make her dislike of your pet know before hand?

Last edited:
My roommate saw a roach in my cham's feeder tank and I thought everything was sorta cool. But apparently, she thought about it, reported me to my landlord and is moving out. They threaten written proceedings. Can they do that?

Just make sure you leave 2,000 housefly pupa in a houseplant the day you leave. She'll have a heck of a suprise a week later.

I asked if anything else was bothering her and she said there was a smell that she had discussed with her lover, and they decided it was not cool. Thing is, anything she ever communicated to me, I took immediate care of. The night she freaked about the roach, I totally cleaned up the breeder tanks and all other buggies/worms and packaged them up for sale or replacement outside. The place is devoid of roaches, as far as I know, that is. ...shem...

And the lease says "NO PETS" :{

And the lease says "NO PETS" :{

So does mine but I asked about my chams and cat and she said they are fine. I really went into detail about my setups but left the roach thing out ... thats just never good to mention. I think they have it in the lease just in case your pets actually do cause problems - that way they can toss you. If the lease said pets are fine and the pets cause an issue then its more difficullt to boot you I would think.

I actually dont tell anyone anything abouy my "interests" ... some people at work know and my friends but I keep it all on the d/l with anyone I really dont know. Its just better that way.

Sorry about all your troubles :(

-roo

You're just evil...hehe

This has been a secret fantasy of mine for years.... I'm just waiting for an opportunity to try it out. If I was still in school, that woulda been fun too.

I asked if anything else was bothering her and she said there was a smell that she had discussed with her lover, and they decided it was not cool.

I can see it now:

Roommate: "Hey honey, what's that smell? Is it you?"
Lover: "No, must be the bugs next door... Seriously..."
Roommate: "Ok, let's take action, surely that's not my lack of a shower."

I would call the landlord without saying your name, and ask if you're allowed to bring your pet lizard with you if you move there. A verbal "ok" is all it would take to back yourself up a bit, like Roo said. Just get rid of roaches at least visually and stick with superworms for a minute til the dust settles.

It's going to be tough since they now know that you keep bugs for your pets, but since you are in violation of your lease they really can do whatever they feel like. I'm sorry for you.

In Canada (Ontario specifically), even if the lease says no pets, and the landlord says no pets, if you do move in and bring pets or have pets, they cannot evit you. :) (unless the animals are doing harm to others).

I was laying low and called the roaches turkistan "beetles." But I never told the roommate anything... she just happened to hear them and then looked and then freaked. Personally, I thought they were pretty. I hated to part with them today, but I gave them to a guy who has tons of lizards, tarantulas and scorpions.
I fear the worst from the landlord and am actively looking for a new place. But the whole move thing is really big. I figure that even if they give me a 30 day notice, that legally I have 60, right?

I'm not sure what the law is in Sanfanciso, I know more about NY/NJ, but I would have to assume that your lease or the law must give you a period to find a new place. Might be time to call a lawyer (shudder) and ask some questions.

Last edited:
Im so sorry for you - That really sucks.

What kind of roaches are you keeping? If they are a breed that can't really infest a house then you might want to explain that to your landlord. (our future landlords for that matter)

If you do end up getting kicked out- yeah moving can be a pain in the ass, but its nice to do every once in a while. Get rid of old stuff etc.

Just talk to him and maybe he'll be cool about it--- if not, maybe you're better off giving your hard earned cash to a landlord that's not so uptight.

I was laying low and called the roaches turkistan "beetles." But I never told the roommate anything... she just happened to hear them and then looked and then freaked. Personally, I thought they were pretty. I hated to part with them today, but I gave them to a guy who has tons of lizards, tarantulas and scorpions.
I fear the worst from the landlord and am actively looking for a new place. But the whole move thing is really big. I figure that even if they give me a 30 day notice, that legally I have 60, right?

Turkistans do look distinctly roach-ish. And, I am pretty sure that this particular species is one that can easily grab hold and take over with very little encouragement! If I were a landlord, I would have a real problem with turkistan roaches on the premises. They are fast, extremely productive, and if you are anything like me, it is impossible to feed without losing at least one. That adds up to a breeding population before too long. Add to that a general reluctance to have the house sprayed because of the precious chameleons... and, well, if I were a landlord, I would be searching through every bit of info I had to get rid of you.

All that said, Turkistans are quickly turning into my favorite feeder. I LOVE them. Better than crickets! I just need to buy a dozen (or two) house geckos to turn loose in the shop...

Tenants, landlords and lawyers! OH MY! brrr And YES, I WOULD rather be giving my money to someone else. And the fact that 2 roaches, possibly 3 have gotten away from me.... well... maybe it IS time to leave? OR... get more lizards!!! YAY
Seemed that the turkistans are active at night when the chams are sleeping. Do geckos roam at night? I refuse to use poisons. BUT I read that cucumber dissuades roaches. I notice they leave a LOT of fecal matter and that's probably why you would not want them roaming free.
Sounds like I better get used to the idea that I'm going to have to move. :{

Eviction process takes forever, find a new place and dont fret, no matter what - your landlord cant kick you out THAT quickly.

Find a new place that allows pets or surrender your cham - those are the two options unfortunately. i have to be honest with you though, it will be extremely hard to find a landlord that allows exotics. Generally leases are written up for cats, dogs, and avians. Rarely does any sort of lease explicitly state exotics.

One thing you can do is post an ad, or work through a local pet store. Ask the workers if they rent and where? Most pet store workers have exotics as well, and sometimes they may live in a pet friendly apartment.

Goodluck
Nate

Back
Top Bottom