Roach feature, starting with some of my favorites!

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
Since I haven't been able to get around to doing videos yet, I figured I'd make some threads featuring different roaches. I'm starting with these 4 simply because they're kept in the same spot of my bug room and they're some of my favorites for their colors/patterns(which look even cooler in person). I keep them all very similarly as well.

I'll do more threads on some of my favorite feeders, treats, etc and try to go through everything I keep.

Gyna centurio aka centurion roach
2020_1224_15362700.jpg

Gyna caffrorum aka chrome roach
2020_1224_15353500.jpg

Gyna lurida aka yellow porcelain roach
2020_1224_15360600.jpg

Therea olgranjeani aka question mark roach
2020_1224_15351600.jpg

All of these species I keep on cocofiber substrate, mostly dry with a moist section of moss. I also add a lot of leaf litter and rotten wood. I have side and top ventilation so that it flows in on the dry side with top ventilation on the moist side. This keeps a little humidity pocket on the moist side while allowing the air to flow through most of the bin.

Many people keep these simply for their looks, but they have potential as good feeders/treats too. They're soft bodied and have enticing colors.

Chrome roaches have been fairly quick breeders for me, but centurion and lurida are slower IME.

The question mark roaches breed fast and lay ooths. They also eat a lot, only downside is they can take a long time to mature. Fastest nymph to adult takes 9 months with some taking up to 2 years. I haven't experienced them taking that long, mine have been around 8-9 months in good conditions.

All of these can climb(though prefer to burrow) as adults. Nymphs can't fly or climb. Gyna adults can fly, but I have only witnessed this maybe once or twice. Mine always seem to burrow before anything and tend to stay in the soil. I don't need vaseline for keeping these in like I do with large colonies of lobsters or hissers for example.

Lmk if you have any questions or want me to share any other info, happy to talk about bugs!

Attachments

• 2020_1224_15354900.jpg
    2020_1224_15354900.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 140
  • 2020_1224_15363300.jpg
    2020_1224_15363300.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 2020_1224_15361500.jpg
    2020_1224_15361500.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 2020_1224_15352200.jpg
    2020_1224_15352200.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 136
Are any of these Florida legal? I would like to start another colony but different from discoid’s. Besides red runners lol, what other roaches would you recommend? My guys are eating my roaches faster than they are reproducing lol.

Are any of these Florida legal? I would like to start another colony but different from discoid’s. Besides red runners lol, what other roaches would you recommend? My guys are eating my roaches faster than they are reproducing lol.

None of these are unfortunately. For a feeder FL legal roach that reproduces well, surinam or horseshoe crabs might be good choices. Horseshoes even have the benefit of breeding without a heat source and get pretty large. They're a pretty underrated feeder IMO. Surinams breed very fast, but are on the smaller side(around cricket size as adults).

Awe man that stinks, they are so cool looking! I’ve had the random Surinam in my house before...I should have kept them lol! I looked up the horseshoe roach and looks similar to discoid. I was really looking forward to a prettier looking roach lol, it would be easier to handle. 🤣🤣🤣

Awe man that stinks, they are so cool looking! I’ve had the random Surinam in my house before...I should have kept them lol! I looked up the horseshoe roach and looks similar to discoid. I was really looking forward to a prettier looking roach lol, it would be easier to handle. 🤣🤣🤣

Hmmm banana? Deaths head lol

Since I haven't been able to get around to doing videos yet, I figured I'd make some threads featuring different roaches. I'm starting with these 4 simply because they're kept in the same spot of my bug room and they're some of my favorites for their colors/patterns(which look even cooler in person). I keep them all very similarly as well.

I'll do more threads on some of my favorite feeders, treats, etc and try to go through everything I keep.

Gyna centurio aka centurion roach
View attachment 286488

Gyna caffrorum aka chrome roach
View attachment 286490

Gyna lurida aka yellow porcelain roach
View attachment 286489

Therea olgranjeani aka question mark roach
View attachment 286494

All of these species I keep on cocofiber substrate, mostly dry with a moist section of moss. I also add a lot of leaf litter and rotten wood. I have side and top ventilation so that it flows in on the dry side with top ventilation on the moist side. This keeps a little humidity pocket on the moist side while allowing the air to flow through most of the bin.

Many people keep these simply for their looks, but they have potential as good feeders/treats too. They're soft bodied and have enticing colors.

Chrome roaches have been fairly quick breeders for me, but centurion and lurida are slower IME.

The question mark roaches breed fast and lay ooths. They also eat a lot, only downside is they can take a long time to mature. Fastest nymph to adult takes 9 months with some taking up to 2 years. I haven't experienced them taking that long, mine have been around 8-9 months in good conditions.

All of these can climb(though prefer to burrow) as adults. Nymphs can't fly or climb. Gyna adults can fly, but I have only witnessed this maybe once or twice. Mine always seem to burrow before anything and tend to stay in the soil. I don't need vaseline for keeping these in like I do with large colonies of lobsters or hissers for example.

Lmk if you have any questions or want me to share any other info, happy to talk about bugs!

You need some Periplaneta americana and australasiae

What do you enjoy about those species? I was always hesitant for their pest reputation. Americana will hunt smaller insects I've seen

Their pest reputation is vastly overrated, I lived in Florida and even though it's the ideal climate for them, they would always be found in a near death state when in the house.

In order for them to be a pest, they need a constant supply of water and food, which are only found in poorly maintained dwellings.

As for what I enjoy about them, they are very cheeky roaches, that are surprisingly intelligent and bold, with simple training by scheduling their feeding times you can get them to be active during the day and show no fear of light.

With hand feeding you can get them to calm down and tolerate handling, they seem to lose their boltiness as well. They change from a skittering movement to more methodical. Some will actively choose to perch on your hand.

They also seem to enjoy watching their human for some reason as well, sit yourself bt their enclosure and tons of heads start popping out.

And finally they are both beautiful especially the australasiae.
IMG_20170828_230539375.jpg
IMG_20170828_230547000.jpg
IMG_20170817_182518083.jpg
IMG_20170726_235636443.jpg
IMG_20170726_235648935.jpg

They are as a bonus, a very meaty yet soft bodied feeder.(Especially the americana)

Their pest reputation is vastly overrated, I lived in Florida and even though it's the ideal climate for them, they would always be found in a near death state when in the house.

In order for them to be a pest, they need a constant supply of water and food, which are only found in poorly maintained dwellings.

As for what I enjoy about them, they are very cheeky roaches, that are surprisingly intelligent and bold, with simple training by scheduling their feeding times you can get them to be active during the day and show no fear of light.

With hand feeding you can get them to calm down and tolerate handling, they seem to lose their boltiness as well. They change from a skittering mocenent to more methodical.

They also seem to enjoy watching their human for some reason as well, sit yourself bt their enclosure and tons of heads start popping out.

And finally they are both beautiful especially the australasiae.
View attachment 286508View attachment 286509View attachment 286510View attachment 286511View attachment 286512
They are as a bonus, a very meaty yet soft bodied feeder.

Reminds me of a handful of the species I have, they all come out and scratch one the walls when I walk in. They know it's food time. I use my flashlight too and they run out to it.

Omg why do I think gyna roaches are so cute!!!! Like those are my fave type of roaches!!!!

Wow I sound like a total valley gurl here 🙄🤦‍♀️

Yup the gyna are so cool IMO. There's some other more rare gyna out there too like pinks, patchwork, etc. But I've heard they can be tricky to breed.

Yup the gyna are so cool IMO. There's some other more rare gyna out there too like pinks, patchwork, etc. But I've heard they can be tricky to breed.
Im redoing my chameleon room so maybe when I’m done I can add more insects. I’m really over the dubias as my main feeder. The chameleons don’t like them as much as hissers and green bananas

Im redoing my chameleon room so maybe when I’m done I can add more insects. I’m really over the dubias as my main feeder. The chameleons don’t like them as much as hissers and green bananas

My chams always liked hissers a lot too. There's so many cool feeder options outside the usual dubia roaches.

Back
Top Bottom