Roach colonies and isopods

Rst_Cham

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi everyone, I have a question regarding management of roach colonies.

I currently have two large bioactive roach colonies (orange heads and Dubia). I set them up last summer with about 25-30 roaches of each type and added about 10 giant canyon isopods to each Enclosure initially just as CuC along with some buffalo beetles. Here I am a year later with probably hundreds of roaches and also hundreds and hundreds of isopods now apparently cohabitating in the roach enclosures. Luckily my Cham and other lizards I have like to eat a few isopods a week as little snacks but I’m unsure what to do about my population explosion? I’m spending a ton on bug food now that my colonies have gotten so big.

How do you all manage your roach and isopod colonies to keep them to reasonable sizes?

Hi everyone, I have a question regarding management of roach colonies.

I currently have two large bioactive roach colonies (orange heads and Dubia). I set them up last summer with about 25-30 roaches of each type and added about 10 giant canyon isopods to each Enclosure initially just as CuC along with some buffalo beetles. Here I am a year later with probably hundreds of roaches and also hundreds and hundreds of isopods now apparently cohabitating in the roach enclosures. Luckily my Cham and other lizards I have like to eat a few isopods a week as little snacks but I’m unsure what to do about my population explosion? I’m spending a ton on bug food now that my colonies have gotten so big.

How do you all manage your roach and isopod colonies to keep them to reasonable sizes?
I just started my colony with about 30-50 dubias, and i'm hoping to not have to manage huge quantities of roaches. I only have 2 adult males so i'm hoping for not as much offspring. As for getting rid of them, I have no clue?‍♂️

You can probably sell your excess of both roaches and isos thru CL or local groups. A lot of people are having trouble getting bugs and either buying from other keepers or starting colonies. Ebay is an option too. Even the classifieds here!

But i'm about to get a baby panther which will eat A LOT
Yes, that’s how I got into this mess, with one little baby boy panther. And then he was a pain and wouldn’t eat his roaches as a juvenile, though luckily he loves them now!

You can probably sell your excess of both roaches and isos thru CL or local groups. A lot of people are having trouble getting bugs and either buying from other keepers or starting colonies. Ebay is an option too. Even the classifieds here!
I didn’t think about CL, I think I’ll try that since I don’t want to mess with trying to shop insects, especially in this heat. Thanks!

I just started my colony with about 30-50 dubias, and i'm hoping to not have to manage huge quantities of roaches. I only have 2 adult males so i'm hoping for not as much offspring. As for getting rid of them, I have no clue?‍♂️
I really didn’t keep track of how many adult males I let reach adulthood. Now there are too many roaches! On the up side, I haven’t had to buy Cham food in a long time since I have the roach and isopod colonies plus I breed silkworms, snails, sticks, and grasshoppers. Then again, my laundry room is full of insect colonies. ?

Told ya those giant canyons reproduce fast! Haha

Just sell off the excess, or set up new bins, get more reptiles?? You could lower the temp and feed less and theyll slow down

Told ya those giant canyons reproduce fast! Haha

Just sell off the excess, or set up new bins, get more reptiles?? You could lower the temp and feed less and theyll slow down
It’s crazy how many there are now! I wonder if the canyon isopods are native to Colorado (And I could let some go)

Back
Top Bottom