roach babies!

serenitystarlite

Established Member
My dubias finally had babies! I've had them for like 5 months now and was starting to think they would never reproduce. I have 5 males and 10 females (that's just what I ended up with, I bought half from the petstore and my friend gave me the rest). Their bin has a heat cable, but I have them in the basement because we literally ran out of places to plug it in. The rest of the apartment has way too many things plugged in and the basement was the only circuit with nothing on it lol. I think it was too cold for them in the winter, but it's been warmer lately so maybe that helped! :D

Congratulations! You may want to a little research on breeding them, use the search option on the forum and you will find more than enough information to get your colony up and running.

-Clemonde

Oh yeah, I've been researching them for awhile. The only problem I think I was having was the temperature. I could use more females, but no one has had any adults around here and I didn't want to order any until it got warmer.

Do you have a thermostat connected to the heat pad? If not I would consider getting one they work great for me.

-Clemonde

We also use a heat pad and a thermostat on our dubia colony. I've seen some people use the heating pads you can buy at the store in pharmacy sections that do not have the 2 or 3 hour timers. We jsut use an old under tank heat pad we had laying about.

Gpmo (him)

Right but I bought the heat cables because I didn't have the money for a thermostat and heat pad. Can you even put a heat pad on a rubbermaid bin? I was told that it would melt. The temperature in there is fine now that it's warmer outside, but it was freezing all winter and pretty cold in the basement. It shouldn't be an issue now that it's warm and once I move into a new apartment and have a better place to keep them. One of my friends said they take a long time to reproduce and he doesn't have any additional heat on his, but he keeps them in his reptile room where it's warmer than my basement.

I am trying to breed lobster roaches, I have a few adults and will probably have some babies in a month.

Now I also use a heating pad under their container but their water gell crystal stuff seems to dry out after like a day, what do you guys do about water and such things?

I am trying to breed lobster roaches, I have a few adults and will probably have some babies in a month.

Now I also use a heating pad under their container but their water gell crystal stuff seems to dry out after like a day, what do you guys do about water and such things?

Put them on the other side of the tank. Half of your tank should be heated and the other half....... well you know.....it shouldn't be heated so you can put food there and water crystals.

-Clemonde

Back
Top Bottom