RO System

So I have this one too and have been using it daily for months. With my water pressure, it takes 30 minutes per gallon. Depending on my needs, I'm either filling one gallon jugs or 2.5 gallon buckets. I set a timer. It's set up in my laundry room sink, and I just keep it setup. The waste water output just goes down the drain and I have the output RO pointed into either bucket or jug.no float valves, very low tech, works great for my needs. I did forget to set timer once, went to work, and forgot. Luckily, I have jug I'm filling placed IN sink so even if overflows, I waste water, but it just goes down drain and doesn't flood laundry room.
This is the way I did mine before and plan on doing it that way again. I have a deep utility sink and will put the buckets in it. When it overflows it will just go into the sink and down the drain if I mistime when to check it.

45 mins to filter 5 gallons??? What system do you have! I need one.

Even if my 75gpd was a clean water number that's 3 gallons an hour. Are you including tanked water in that scenario?

He has a 50 so best case scenario, he gets 2 gallons an hour.

I think the 150gpd/200gpd upgrade kits are supposed to be able to do 5gal in 45mins, but you need like 75 PSI to the system, which I don't think I have, so then a booster pump is needed.

I'm using the Icecap system. It would be a bit over kill if you only have one animal in your care. The internal timer and spill sensor are what sold me on this unit. The 3 TDS sensors were the cherry on top.

Perhaps I'm spoiled and not realizing it, but the system paid for itself in 6 months.

https://www.amazon.com/IceCap-RODI-Smart-Filtration-System/dp/B00YSPOGXK

I know I'm new here, but I've been reef keeping for several years and can attest to the superb quality of the BRS system. It's one of the best in the business. Here is a link to the system with a tank and faucet... https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/5-stage-75gpd-drinking-water-ro-system-brs.html

That filter you linked is for a 5 stage drinking water filter. So it's remineralizing, for flaver, increasing the TDS.

The concept I have is, in nature, chameleons drink dew and rain water that has very low (if any) TDS. So this is what I provide them with.

For my aquariums, I start with 0 TDS and remineralize with the correct minerals to recreate their natural environment. For my reef, its mineralized by the salt I add.

Edit: PH and alkalinity are also parameters to keep in mind for chameleons and fish/corals

Last edited:
That filter you linked is for a 5 stage drinking water filter. So it's remineralizing, for flaver, increasing the TDS.

The concept I have is, in nature, chameleons drink dew and rain water that has very low (if any) TDS. So this is what I provide them with.

For my aquariums, I start with 0 TDS and remineralize with the correct minerals to recreate their natural environment. For my reef, its mineralized by the salt I add.

Edit: PH and alkalinity are also parameters to keep in mind for chameleons and fish/corals

Actually, my tds out of the can is 6. I also have a DI filter to bring that to 0. This is the system I use for my reef tanks. There is no "remineralizing" of this water at all. I can produce 5 gallons of RODI in about 25 minutes. That's ZERO TDS water. If I don't run the DI cartridge, then I can make 5 gallons of regular RO water in about 10 minutes. I keep a 120 gallon display reef with a 40 gallon sump, a 25 gallon display with a 7 gallon sump, a 25 gallon freshwater tank, and a 20 gallon freshwater tank. I don't have time to wait on water and can't afford the disaster of tds in my reef water. Coral and saltwater fish are expensive and sensitive. However, this system is not cheap. But, it is good and effective. The numbers above are using cold water tap in summer. It's slightly slower in winter.

Actually, my tds out of the can is 6. I also have a DI filter to bring that to 0. This is the system I use for my reef tanks. There is no "remineralizing" of this water at all. I can produce 5 gallons of RODI in about 25 minutes. That's ZERO TDS water. If I don't run the DI cartridge, then I can make 5 gallons of regular RO water in about 10 minutes. I keep a 120 gallon display reef with a 40 gallon sump, a 25 gallon display with a 7 gallon sump, a 25 gallon freshwater tank, and a 20 gallon freshwater tank. I don't have time to wait on water and can't afford the disaster of tds in my reef water. Coral and saltwater fish are expensive and sensitive. However, this system is not cheap. But, it is good and effective. The numbers above are using cold water tap in summer. It's slightly slower in winter.
My apologies. I saw "5 Stage RO Drinking Water Reverse Osmosis" in the title and assumed it had the alkaline remineralize stage. I should have looked.

I stand corrected.

Just my 2 cents. That looks like a great deal.
I got this Micro Logic 75 system (see link below) literally like 2 years ago already.
Its not as cheap at the moment but its QUALITY. I have a tds sensor installed so I know when the filters are going back and its STILL going strong (Usually 0-4 tds and I filter about 10 GAL a week! (520 Gal/yr) so I'd guess the system you posted is a great buy since mine was about the same $ if you paid full price.

https://www.amazon.com/Hydrologic-H...ogic+micRO-75&qid=1565155399&s=gateway&sr=8-4

Last edited:
I just realized that the link I posted was for a 75gpd system...mine is a two membrane 150gpd system which makes water twice as fast. I also have a dual TDS meter inline and a DI resin stage that I can use on demand for reef water. My system was about $100 more than the one in the link I posted. But, if you don't need DI water (and MOST people do not) and you don't go through a lot of water at a time, then the base system in the link I posted is a great deal. You can store 3 gallons of water at a time, as well. There are cheaper systems on the market, but few are as good or dependable. If you get the base RO system with no can and no DI, it's only $134. You can get a storage can at HD/Lowes if you want one later and you can add on any of the bells and whistles later if you want, as well. BRS has been building and supporting these systems for the reefing community for years and I doubt they are going to stop anytime soon. They are kinda like the Dragon Strand company of reef aquariums, if you will. Not the cheapest, but one of the best.

No it's not.

5 Stages of Filtration:
Purtrex 5 Micron Depth Sediment Filter
BRS Chlorine & VOC 5 Micron Carbon Block Filter
BRS Universal 1 Micron Carbon Block Filter
75 GPD Dow Filmtec Membrane
Omnipure Inline Carbon Block

Now I don't know what benefits a 3rd carbon block and that one is after the RO, serves but they add it. Mine has the same thing.

I have never seen a RO come with the Remineralize Filter they are expensive.
https://www.amazon.com/Water-Filter...ocphy=9030275&hvtargid=pla-644978506480&psc=1

No it's not.

5 Stages of Filtration:
Purtrex 5 Micron Depth Sediment Filter
BRS Chlorine & VOC 5 Micron Carbon Block Filter
BRS Universal 1 Micron Carbon Block Filter
75 GPD Dow Filmtec Membrane
Omnipure Inline Carbon Block

Now I don't know what benefits a 3rd carbon block and that one is after the RO, serves but they add it. Mine has the same thing.

I have never seen a RO come with the Remineralize Filter they are expensive.
https://www.amazon.com/Water-Filter...ocphy=9030275&hvtargid=pla-644978506480&psc=1
Yes, we have already established that I was mistaken. Thank you.

The reason I bought this system was because I needed RODI water for my tanks and my wife wanted a drinking water filter since she doesn't like tap water. So I killed 2 birds with 1 stone, so to say. You don't really need the inline carbon block for pets and I don't think DI water would have any benefits for them, either. But the storage tank is the bomb for when you just need to fill a small drinking reservoir like a dripper or mister and don't want minerals or chlorine in the water.

Back
Top Bottom