RIP Beatrix

hallenhe

Avid Member
I feel just awful doing this twice in one week. Some of you know that my female veiled, Beatrix, escaped while outside on Labor Day weekend. She was in a small tree, I was sitting by her, I went around to look when she disappeared from view, she apparently went one way while I was looking the other... the neighbors were great, and we had search parties out within 20 minutes, and everybody let me into their yards and said they would keep their eyes peeled.
I was not holding out much hope of seeing her again, as it had been a month and a half since her disappearance, and there are cats, possums and hawks in the neighborhood, but they do live amongst predators in the wild, so we had not given up. Yesterday a neighbor brought me the body. She was found four houses down from me, in a walled-in garden. She looked to be in good shape - not emaciated or obviously malnourished, no serious injuries. We have had hard frosts a couple of nights, and would guess that's what did her in. She did not appear to have been dead that long - maybe a week or less. It feels awful knowing she was so close and could have been rescued if we'd just looked in the right place. Of course, we don't know how long she was in the yard she was found in, or if she wandered in and out...
I believe she had a wonderful time up until that cold night. If she'd been hanging out near where she was found, there were two adjacent yards with wonderful gardens, water features, and all kinds of insects attracted to the plants. I hope she didn't know what hit her.
You will be missed, pretty Beatrix.

Attachments

• 309108_258922197466065_100000448616577_1014207_2490006_n.jpg
    309108_258922197466065_100000448616577_1014207_2490006_n.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 246
Reactions: Hoj
so sorry id like to think she had the time of her life and fell asleep one night and passed peacfull, agian i am very sorry for your loss R.I.P Beatrix you r beautifull

Oh my gosh, that is such a sad story! I am so sorry you lost her that way but like you said hopefully she died happily living freely in the wild. I am so glad that you got her body back so you can finally have some closure and not keep wondering forever what happened to her. i had my pet tortoise of 7years escape and it was killed by my neighbors pitbull. Everyone knew I was searching high and low for him, including them They were not so kind as to tell me. I found out like 6 months later through the grapevine. I was very sad(and mad at them for not telling me) to find out he was dead but finally could stop looking for him as I still would every day. RIP Beatrix, your were a beautiful veild.

Heather, I am so sorry that you had to go through this twice in one week. My heart really goes out to you. Bea was a gorgeous little lady.

That is just awful, having them both go is just horrible. But at least Beatrix has a nice time outside - we will just chose to hope it was good for her.

Heather, I am so sorry for your loss. Though the ending was sad, it's good that you found her. You and your neighbors really tried to find her and I know she is going to be greatly missed.

Oh Heather! :( What can any of us say to make things better? I know there is nothing, and I feel so sad for you, losing two special chams in one week. Sounds like Bea was living the high life for a few days though! May she rest in peace with McGinty. Sending hugs xxx

Oh Heather,,,,, this is so heartbreaking but it is always good to have closure.....
Wishingyou peace!!!

im so sorry for your loss. the finding of her you got is rare and i hope it made you feel a little better. im shure she loved all those bugs and plants to taste. R.I.P pritty girl.

Even though I am new... it does not stop me from understanding the pain you are going though. Try to think of the joy in investigating that your little one experienced while away... and if you worry about the cold... mostly likely your Beatrix probably just went into a sleep until she awoke on the other side of the rainbow bridge. Please know you are in my thoughts as your go through this difficult time

Back
Top Bottom