Right time too mate .

Joseph 1233

I have a chameleon who has laid eggs that are about 2 months old and still in perfect shape but I'm still not sure they are fertile as I can't see veins yet when I candle them I was wondering if I let my chameleons mate when she is gravid next time wich should be right before she lays again if she does will the eggs have higher chance of being fertile or does the egg need to be fertilized earlier in production .

I have a chameleon who has laid eggs that are about 2 months old and still in perfect shape but I'm still not sure they are fertile as I can't see veins yet when I candle them I was wondering if I let my chameleons mate when she is gravid next time wich should be right before she lays again if she does will the eggs have higher chance of being fertile or does the egg need to be fertilized earlier in production .
Just because they don't have veins doesn't mean that they aren't fertile. Eggs (Chameleon eggs) have a period of no embryo development for a month or two, so they might be starting to develop soon.

Post a photo of the eggs. We should be able to tell you if they're fertile.

The eggs need to be fertilized early enough that they can be filled with nutrients by the female and shelled after the mating in time to lay them.
If you show the male to the female and they don't repel/show aggression and mate willingly then you should get fertilized eggs...but it's still possible some will be infertile in the batch. There is no way of us knowing when the exact best time for them to mate is. Several batches can be produced from one mating though.

The eggs need to be fertilized early enough that they can be filled with nutrients by the female and shelled after the mating in time to lay them.
If you show the male to the female and they don't repel/show aggression and mate willingly then you should get fertilized eggs...but it's still possible some will be infertile in the batch. There is no way of us knowing when the exact best time for them to mate is. Several batches can be produced from one mating though.
BTW, you should make fruit fly cultures soon, there might be a bunch of hungry mouths to feed! :)

Here's one

Attachments

• 20171104_163829.jpg
    20171104_163829.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 120
BTW, you should make fruit fly cultures soon, there might be a bunch of hungry mouths to feed! :)
I have lots of other small feeders was thinking dubia babies and or pinheads are easy to breed and might as well try fruit fly as I just have to leave any fruit and they come

I have lots of other small feeders was thinking dubia babies and or pinheads are easy to breed and might as well try fruit fly as I just have to leave any fruit and they come
Dubia babies might be too big, the babies will be the size of a dime.

Thank you

Unlike most reptiles chameleon eggs are laid during the gastula phase instead of an embryo. It's not uncommon to see any veins or activity for 4-6 months depending on the species.

Unlike most reptiles chameleon eggs are laid during the gastula phase instead of an embryo. It's not uncommon to see any veins or activity for 4-6 months depending on the species.
Do you know if that egg is fertile and what is it that you can see inside

That little circle your seeing in your picture looks to be the start of the embryo. At first the eggs look like nothing is happening. Within the first 2 months the infertile ones usually mold and collapse. After awhile you with see a small pinkish circle like in your picture. Once the embryo attaches to the wall you will eventually see veins. As development furthers you will be able to see the body and of lucky a shape of a limb or tail. Eventually close to the end you will see only darkness in the egg when candled because the baby will take up the whole space.

Honestly I'm to scared to even pick up my eggs when I candle them. I usually shine the light at different angles. I found that eggs that are disturbed more have poorer success when hatching.

You said..."Honestly I'm to scared to even pick up my eggs when I candle them. I usually shine the light at different angles. I found that eggs that are disturbed more have poorer success when hatching" ...I never picked them up either...and I never candled chameleon eggs in all the years I've been keeping them. I candled coneheads (laemanctus) and water dragons and tortoises/turtles , etc...but never chameleons. (I have no reason for why I didn't do it.) You're right about a poorer hatch rate if you fool around with the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom