Riddle me this??

lanceman

How do wild chams get out of their 6-9 inch deep hole covered with dirt all on their own when they just look so fragile.

and also when they all hatch out of the eggs, the space the eggs occupied can now be crushed and filled in with dirt which gives them a nice head start, which is why the species has evolved to hatch all at the same time, because the outer eggs are absorbing heat from the earth and insulating the inner eggs to keep a pretty constant temperature for as many eggs as possible. I also would imagine late hatcher may get burried alive which would be interesting to know based on experience if late hatchers have been weak for anyone in captivity, or just the opposite if early hatchers showed more profound growth other than the fact that they were older.

I heard chameleon company has been experiementing with this in underground incubation in captivity, not sure if they are reburying the eggs less deep, or just leaving them be, would be interesting to know if jim happens to see this. also curious to know if this occurs in ground which i imagine it would, or are there insect or pest issues to be away of where buring them in a container may be the better solution.

anyways very interesting stuff

Dankmelon,

I'm sure there are pest issues, such as insects. Depends where you live, but when keeping other reptiles like tortoises or monitors outside, ants are always a problem if you don't dig the eggs out soon enough. I don't see why they wouldn't go for cham eggs.

perhaps they cannot penetrate the exterior egg in the wild and if they do, the innnermost eggs are probably the only ones that survive

Back
Top Bottom