Rhampoleon Spinosum

ChrisZ

I have been waiting for quite some time for the new shipment from Tanzania with Spinosums and some other dwarf leaf chameleons. Last monday they arrived here in the Netherlands and I was the first to pick some of these gorgeous arnimals. They were only sold as pairs so I picked up 1.1 of them.

The first pictures are below. After 1 hour in their new terrarium I already saw them mating - let's hope for some Spinosum babies in the future.
Male
2qvz41v.jpg

Female
14wg03a.jpg

Male
2uj1du9.jpg

Pair
jv0zro.jpg

Pair
nvyzup.jpg

Thanks! I'll keep you updated.

I was wondering if Spinosus will or is available in the US? I saw that they were pretty rare in the states and wondering how that's possible.

i kept and bred these guys very successfully for many years.
A good advice Chris :don't keep them to warm its a mountain species,ideal is about 21 a day and between 12 and 15 at night.
Success with them!

Thanks Jurgen! That's exactly the way I was told to keep them. They are kinda similar to Accuminatus but they need even lower tempertures. Thanks for your advice :)

Cool

I hope someone in the states starts a ch population
I absolutely love those lil critters....OUTSTANDING

This is truly an amazing species, but its interesting that you were able to get them from Tanzania considering they have not been issued a CITES quota since 2011 (and thus can't be legally exported). Many people try to claim that because they have been reclassified as a Rhampholeon species that they are no longer a CITES listed species, but that is simply not true (CITES has not recognized the nomenclature change, and thus they are still considered Bradypodion spinosum for CITES purposes).

This species has been in captivity in the US in limited numbers over the last 6 years, but not legally since the last quotas in 2011. Until Tanzania issues new quotas, any Rhampholeon spinosus available in the US are almost assuredly illegal imports.

Chris

Thanks! I'll keep you updated.

I was wondering if Spinosus will or is available in the US? I saw that they were pretty rare in the states and wondering how that's possible.

A few came in some months ago, I purchased a trio... Two of the three arrived in terrible shape, broken legs, dehydrated, basically on deaths doorstep. For what I paid I was not going to keep them like that. And I had a bit of a moral battle with myself given their status...

But one, healthy specimen that arrived was one of the coolest species of chameleons I have ever seen. I wish they were not in the status which they are. I would really like to work with them...
a3udejyn.jpg

Alex

@ Chris: I've heard some of that before.. the genus change is exactly what the store keeper told me; he imported 50 of them last week and even 50 more 1 month ago...

@ Alex: Such a bummer to hear you received them in a bad shape.. How are they doing? Did they survive? That's a really cool male on your picture.
The 50 I saw in the petshop are in really good shape!

@ Chris: I've heard some of that before.. the genus change is exactly what the store keeper told me; he imported 50 of them last week and even 50 more 1 month ago...

Yeah, those numbers are far higher than has ever been legally exported from Tanzania, and as I mentioned, the genus change is the excuse these importer and exporters are using, but its still illegal. Sad considering this has been assessed by the IUCN Red List as Endangered.

Chris

@ Alex: Such a bummer to hear you received them in a bad shape.. How are they doing? Did they survive? That's a really cool male on your picture.
The 50 I saw in the petshop are in really good shape!

Honestly, I have no idea how they are doing.. I sent them back to the place that said "They were in great shape" before I puchased them. I really wanted to keep them, but I wasn't going to pay $750 and end up with one. I even though that price was a bit high for a trio.

Sadly, I'm sure the two females I received didn't make it. And only 12 pairs came in. Maybe someone has a few somewhere in the states.. .

I am surprised they arrive in those numbers over there, given their status.

Honestly, I have no idea how they are doing.. I sent them back to the place that said "They were in great shape" before I puchased them. I really wanted to keep them, but I wasn't going to pay $750 and end up with one. I even though that price was a bit high for a trio.

Sadly, I'm sure the two females I received didn't make it. And only 12 pairs came in. Maybe someone has a few somewhere in the states.. .

I am surprised they arrive in those numbers over there, given their status.

Wow! 750 for a trio is way to much IMO I paid like 90dollar for the pair... Ive noticed that chameons are way cheaper in Europe compared to the US

Back
Top Bottom