Rhampholeon uluguruensis

mika

Does anyone have any info on these or can anyone point me to a website besides adcham?

Temps? Requirements?

Thanks muchos :)

Why are you curious about captive husbandry?
I couldnt find any information on them even being shipped out of the country.
They were not listed by CITES in 2008, 2007, or 2006.
Do you know someone with one?
Do you wish to purchase a group?

Why are you curious about captive husbandry?
I couldnt find any information on them even being shipped out of the country.
They were not listed by CITES in 2008, 2007, or 2006.
Do you know someone with one?
Do you wish to purchase a group?

Being shipped out of what country? out of Tanzania?

If it's not listed on CITES does it mean none were exported out of Tanzania?

Rhampholeon and Rieppeleon are currently not CITES listed species, so you won't find annual export/import data. That said, I have not seen the uluguruensis in a little while.

They do require very, VERY cool temperatures - cooler than the brevicaudatus - plus very high humidity. Being as you live in California, can you keep them cold enough?

Cheers,
t

Rhampholeon and Rieppeleon are currently not CITES listed species, so you won't find annual export/import data. That said, I have not seen the uluguruensis in a little while.

They do require very, VERY cool temperatures - cooler than the brevicaudatus - plus very high humidity. Being as you live in California, can you keep them cold enough?

Cheers,
t

What does it mean when a species is not listed on cites?

If it's not listed on cites does that mean none should be exported from Tanzania?

Sorry, I haven't had time to read the CITES website :) I did check & there is none listed so I'm curious to what this means.

How cool is cool and how high a humidity?

Last edited:
If a species is not listed with CITES, then it can be traded (exported/imported) without any legal restrictions. CITES listed animals usually have export quotas and need legal paperwork to be transferred between countries.

I kept my groups of uluguruensis in densely planted 33gal tanks. I used regular plant "grow light" fluorescent bulb across the short end of the tank providing low light simulating the dappled light on the forest floor. I did not use UV on them. I kept the tanks on the floor of my chameleon room giving them a psychological notion of being ground dwellers. The ambient temperature was 70F and my room never gets below 80% humidity. Ever. I found if the temperatures got too warm, the uluguruensis (and the nchisiensis as well) would actually bury themselves in the substrate to cool off. Small crickets and fruit flies were readily accepted by the adults. Mating would and could take several hours. Several clutches of eggs a year were laid and if I remember correctly incubation time was about 120 days? It's been a loooooooooooooooooooong while since I've worked with any pygmy species so I'd have to ready dig back in my notes to confirm that. Babies are tiny, tiny tiny. Fruit flies were too big for them and so springtail cultures are needed to feed them.

Good luck.
t

Thanks for the very helpful info.

I can't find much on them on the web for some reason.

Since the babies were so tiny, did you let them incubate in the tanks or take em out?

I found if the temperatures got too warm, the uluguruensis (and the nchisiensis as well) would actually bury themselves in the substrate to cool off.

Do they hibernate or just bury themselves?

Kinda like the stumpffi where they would go into hibernation or aestivation when it's too cool or too dry.

I can't find much on them on the web for some reason.

Since the babies were so tiny, did you let them incubate in the tanks or take em out?

Yeah, sadly there isn't much online about some the different species of pygmies over and above the brevicaudatus. At least that I've found! My interests/pursuits with chameleons have changed over the last several years and the pygmies are no longer part of that. If you haven't seen it, the Stump Tailed Chameleons book by Petr Necas is a must have for any leaf tailed fan. It does include the genus Brookesia as well.

I always incubed any eggs outside the vivarium. I've just always done that, but I do believe they can be left in situ. I raised the babies in small Kritter Keepers or Rubbermaids upon hatching.

Do they hibernate or just bury themselves?

Kinda like the stumpffi where they would go into hibernation or aestivation when it's too cool or too dry.

They just buried themselves. In my experience, I didn't find any of the Rhampholeon or Rieppeleon to go through that period of aestivation. Obviously there are seasonal daylight and temperature cycles with them in which breeding would be less frequent, appetites would be a little less kind of thing, but not a true hibernation. I do believe the Brookesia need those stronger cool, wet, hot and dry seasonal cues for proper health, breeding and captive management.

Cheers,
t

Back
Top Bottom