Review: Mulberry Farm Hornworms

Ponyboy

NOT BAD!!

Deal I used:

Order Summary
--------------------------
1 - Hornworms - Buy 2 Cups, Get 1 Cup FREE! @ $21.90
on_sale.png

Got three different sized hornworms (did not request either, apparently they are intimately familiar with hornworm growth rates as feeders) to accommodate their fast growth cycle and am able to supplement Moe's diet for approximately 1 1/2 - 2 months because they send appropriate size hornworms.

I tried Great Lakes hornworms and they were expensive, many were dead, and the worms were very small upon arrival needing approximately a week and a half to reach appropriate food item size for an adult veiled. Not to say that wouldn't be appropriate for say a quad or juvenile, but it wasn't suitable for my situation.

MF gave me a range of hornworm sizes and about 50 hornworms in three different cups with each cup holding the same sized hornworms (S,M,L)

I definitely recommend Mulberry Farms for those of you that outsource your chameleons hornworm supplements.

I've included pictures for those of you interested.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 291
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 272
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 319
I would guess you don't know that the Chameleon Forum is not formatted to post dissatisfaction with vendors. You can go to Fuana Classifieds and use the BOI to voice concerns.

If vendor rating were allowed it would make the forum a place many would not visit.

Just passing' the information along, my friend.

CHEERS!

Nick

I would guess you don't know that the Chameleon Forum is not formatted to post dissatisfaction with vendors. You can go to Fuana Classifieds and use the BOI to voice concerns.

If vendor rating were allowed it would make the forum a place many would not visit.

CHEERS!

Nick

Can't edit it! Sorry about that, just figured it could help someone out choosing good hornworms for their Cham!

CHEERS!

Nick

I've seen a few reviews/praise threads of light your reptiles.

True, the reviews are not allowed, but it is nice to hear good stuff about products and experiences. If someone had a true issue with a vendor I would not want to see the review here. With that being said, I have given advice to use forum sponsors many times, and feel it is the responsible thing to share my experiences with any I've dealt with. I have nothing but praise for @Venutus1 for his advice and products, and have had mostly positive results from feeder suppliers here. I would draw the line at giving a negative review and likely pm @Brad with details if it were a sponsor, and use BOI if there were a real issue. As stated, it is a rule, but there are a lot of us that break this rule. I'm guilty myself:rolleyes:.

As for hornworms, I wish they could be shipped with ice packs. I have high temps here in FL and I can't always get to the post office for "hold for pickup" and the one time I tried to request this it got delivered anyway.
I get silkie eggs now to avoid issues and take chances with hornworms once in a while during hot weather.

I just started raising my own hornworms but before that I used Mulberry Farms and loved them. I've also used Great Lakes Hornworms and never had an issue with them either. I only switched because Mulberry Farms has that awesome buy 2 get 1 deal.

I think reviews of products are allowed, but it can be a fine line sometimes.
Have you ever used Josh's Frogs?? Just ordered superworms and hornworms from them, still waiting for arrival. I'm curious how they turn out as this is my first attempt from ordering online.... :/

I just started raising my own hornworms but before that I used Mulberry Farms and loved them. I've also used Great Lakes Hornworms and never had an issue with them either. I only switched because Mulberry Farms has that awesome buy 2 get 1 deal.
How long do they generally live? That's my main concern buying in bulk.

How long do they generally live? That's my main concern buying in bulk.
I had them live long enough to pupate. That's how I ended up raising my own. It took about 2 to 3 weeks for them to turn into pupa then another 7 to 10 days to hatch into moths. You can slow down their growth by keeping cool in a cooler.

CHEERS!

Nick

No where in the rules does it say you can not post reviews.

It does say,
"Conflicts between individuals and/or businesses should NOT be debated in the public forums. Chameleon Forums should not be used as a tool for resolving personal or commercial disputes."

However that is different than a review. If it was a gripe or straight negative and not a review, then I would agree. However if they do not want reviews posted they need to edit that in, as nothing in the rules says anything about that. He didn't have dissatisfaction and this was not meant to resolve a conflict. Nor was there a conflict occurring in this thread, which is what this rule appears to mean.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/help/terms

However as Lathis said it can be a fine line and open to interpretation and they really should clarify that better in the rules IMO.

Also to get technical, if that was added to the rules. Then it would have to go both ways, so reviews about site sponsors that are positive must also be removed JMO, if they were not that would show Bias, and that would make the site somewhere no one wants to visit.

Posts like this, or someone asking is XXXXX any good, and being told something like "Not in My Experience" are not violating that rule on the subject. Clarification of why, if asked should be taken to PM however. At least that is how I am reading it.

Last edited:
I had them live long enough to pupate. That's how I ended up raising my own. It took about 2 to 3 weeks for them to turn into pupa then another 7 to 10 days to hatch into moths. You can slow down their growth by keeping cool in a cooler.
That's good to know, thanks. I'm def not opposed to raising my own, that would be awesome

If you take them out of the cup and only feed them a little every day they will grow slower snd once they get big you can put them in the fridge every other day to slow growth also. Ive had one cup last me a couple months almost
That's awesome. Ive been reading up on them and from what I saw if you do a couple days in the fridge then one day out, and I guess continue on that schedule, they last longer, don't grow as fast. My Cham is only about 5 months so I ordered the small, don't want them to get too big too soon.

What's funny (maybe weird) when my brother and I were kids we had a honeysuckle bush on the side of our house that had hornworms all over it. We actually "played" with them!! And now, like 30 yrs later, I find my little Cham may love them too....

That's awesome. Ive been reading up on them and from what I saw if you do a couple days in the fridge then one day out, and I guess continue on that schedule, they last longer, don't grow as fast. My Cham is only about 5 months so I ordered the small, don't want them to get too big too soon.

The better way is a wine chiller they can be left in that 24/7 and it will slow there growth :). at 55 degrees.

The better way is a wine chiller they can be left in that 24/7 and it will slow there growth :). at 55 degrees.

That way does work well and Ive done it in my beer cellar which is the same temp and Ive found taking them out of cup and feeding them small amounts at a time ends up being about the same growth rate. Doing both they would prob last a long time!

That way does work well and Ive done it in my beer cellar which is the same temp and Ive found taking them out of cup and feeding them small amounts at a time ends up being about the same growth rate. Doing both they would prob last a long time!
You have a beer cellar? I gotta tell my wife that I need to visit you to learn chameleon care. Road trip!

Back
Top Bottom