Returning member/first time chameleon keeper! Intro and questions

andy d

Hello all!

I've been a member for a while now ever since I got the idea of possibly getting chameleon. It took me almost a year to do my research and make the decision to finally pick up one of these little guys... and I am very happy I did! I bought a juvenile flap-necked Cham from a reptile show in Seattle. He's from lllreptile so I know I got a healthy, well kept little guy. His name is Willy.

I have some pics I want to upload, but since I came home from college for the summer the only internet access I have is through my parents 3G iPad... and for some reason can't upload pics. Anyways, I will describe my setup in the meantime. As far as setup goes, I have a reptibreeze small enclosure, 16x16x20. The setup came with a zoomed 60 watt daylight bulb, and vine decor. Our house stays pretty much constant 70degrees, and his basking area is low 80s. Also I mist the enclosure twice a day, and I made a home-made dripper that my Cham loves! For food, I'm feeding him calcium dusted crickets and just picked up some small mealworms for him (although haven't attempted to feed him one yet).

Sooo on to some questions!

So there's more things that I'm going to get for Willy. I have a $60 gift card through Amazon.com and I figured I could put it to good use. First on my list is a reptisun 5.0, 18in. Now, from my understanding, you can substitute a reptile specific lamp fixture (like the one from zoomed) for one from a hardware store as long as it's also 18in and 15 watts... is this correct? I found one at goodwill for 3.99, if it will work fine, then I will use it. I also am considering picking up an infared bulb. What one is best recommended for chameleons? Also, a friend mentioned if I get one, to leave it on all the time... is that okay? I thought it's purpose is to just provide a heat source at night with low light. What is the correct use? Also what else should I consider picking up to get my moneys worth?

It will be a few days before the reptisun 5.0 arrives, so i've taken Willy out in the sun a couple times. I have a sunbox, SAD therapeutic daylight lamp... of course it's intended purpose is to simulate an early summer mornings day and help people with seasonal affective disorder... but is this something that could be used/safe on Willy's enclosure until I get the 5.0? Here is a link to the product description: http://www.sunbox.com/products/sunboxwht.html
If it's not an option, I will just continue to take him outside to soak up some rays until I get it.

I believe that's it for questions at the moment... I would appreciate any feedback as comments or suggestions on my current setup for him. Thanks to all who can help!

- Andy

Hi Andy, welcome to chameleons ownership. I have never had a flap neck so I can only give you general info, or consult one of my books if necessary. On the infrared bulb, you don't need it based on the temps your house stays at. Also you never want a light on a chameleon 24 hours a day. The light, yes even infrared, interferes with their sleep. Using a fixture from home depot, or better yet goodwill (nice score) is completely ok. I do it with all my chams, it is the bulb that is critical. I use the repti sun 5.0 it is made by exo terra. , so you were already headed in the right direction. Since you already have the fixture you will get the tube style light which is what you want. I buy a dome fixture again home depot or walmart, and regular house hold bulb for a basking or heat light. Until you get the repti sun just take him outside, that is even better than the uvb for Willy.

I would use the gift cert fot things like bio vines or any reptile safe bendy vines. Also you will want a nice live plant or two. Most of us use ficus trees or umbrella trees also a pothos is great for humidity. Do you have the supplements you will need? Plain calcium, calcium with d3 and miner-all or herpivite You will need to check with some one with knowledge on the correct schedule for you chameleon. Last piece of info, meal worms are not really good for your cham. You would be better off to buy superworms- no they are not the same, like some shops will tell you:), or silkworn & hornworms.

That is all I can think of for now Let me know if I can help with anything else or if I skipper some questions.

Hey thank you on the quick reply! So no-go on the infared? Yeah my parents house is pretty consistent on temp... sometimes gets a little cooler when it's really cold outside. Can't say the same for when I move back to Oregon for school... the apartment I rent tends to vary. Would a ceramic bulb be better to provide heat for nights over there?

Also, yes I do have a supplement powder. I bought it when I was getting my crickets today. It's a Tetrafauna ReptoCal. I should have down my own research on what's best instead of relying on a pet stores opinion... but they have a pretty good rep in town so I went with it. Is this brand okay? Or should I look into something different/better?

Other questions I thought of: I've seen people say go with a digital thermometer/hygrometer, and I've seen others say they are worthless and to go with traditional meters. I want to get something reliable... what's a good option? Lastly, I remember seeing a do-it-yourself thread on making a simple, cost-efficient misting system. I don't remember if it through this site or another...anyone seen one of these threads? Thanks!

I keep a lot of different species of chameleons so I need to know temps and humidity. Zilla makes a digital good double probe combo temp/humidity gage. Or walmat has a indoor outdoor digital thermometer that measures temp & humidity. it is by acu-rite. They are cheap and work well. Put the control with the readouts in a ziplock baggie. I have killed lots of them spraying and getting the controls wet.:(

When you head but to school I would invest in a ceramic heater/bulb. They emit heat with no lights. .I use them to keep my roaches warm.

Your school may be cooler but that sure is a beautiful area to go to school. What are you studying there?

Oh before I forget you need to do a search on the do it yourself misters. I have one but electronic geek hubby designed & built it for me.

Acu-rite yes! That's the one I've read about being a cost-efficient digital reader. I will probably pick one of those up soon.

I'm going to school at Oregon Institute of Technology in Klamath Falls, OR. Right now I'm pre-MIT, going to begin a medical imaging program this upcoming spring. It is a beautiful as far as local scenery like Crater Lake n such, but ya it definitely tends to get cold during winter times. I will be picking up a ceramic heater then for that reason. I am also thinking of getting a fogger system... a friend works at another local petshop and said they have a used unit from when they used to keep reptiles. It's a $50 unit or so that they would sell to me for $20. It's a pretty dry climate in Kfalls, so I think that'd be a worthwile investment.

Finally I got a chance to hit up a coffee house so I could post some pics of Willy! His enclosure is a little bare still, but I'm starting to do my research and find out which plants I want to get for him. First pic is in the car after the reptile show, next two are in his enclosure, and the last is outside soakin up some sun. Enjoy!
0619001654.jpg

0619002222.jpg

0620000835.jpg

0621000835.jpg

0622001137.jpg

nice looking cham

these are good safe plants for chameleons

this is dwarf umbrella tree
ScheffJacquline200mm.jpg

this is ficus benjamina a.k.a weeping fig tree
ficus.jpg

this is pothos a vine like plant that are good when hanged
pothos.jpg

plants will provided drinking surface and
keep up the humidity

feeders shouldnt be no larger than
the space between your chams eyes or
your cham can choke

be sure you get that zoo-med repti-sun 5.0 ASAP
sunlight is a better option but isnt always an option

Chams get UVB rays from the sun and special bulbs like
repti-sun 5.0

UVB rays make vit.D3 that act as a horomone
to deliver calcium to the bones as well as other
important things

UVB rays cant penetrate through glass
so your cham cant get UV rays if you keep him beside
a closed window

gut loading is an important aspect of
keeping any animal and will be good if you understand what it means
here is a link to basic gutloading
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/75-feeder-nutrition-gutloading.html

I am not sure if the fogger will do any good for your
cham but then again I am not familiar with the care of a
flapnecked chameleon

Im pretty sure other people will tell anything else I missed

Just so you know...the chances are that your cham from LLLreptile is more then likely wild caught not captive bread.
Anyway he looks good and should color up nicely for you in the coming months.

Also, pothos, umbrella, and ficus make great live plants...see photos above.

Harry

Excellent. Thanks on the advice! Yeah the cricket looks kind of big in that pic, but it really is just a small one that was closer to my phone camera. I've ordered the 5.0, should be here soon. Yeah, so far he seems very healthy, he's been eating well and drinking too. Do any of you know any members on this forum who have kept flapnecked chams?? It'd be nice to chat and hear a little more in-depth about them :)

Heres a few more pics of Willy. I've since added the 18in reptisun 5.0 (not in these pics), and a schefflera plant. I also made a nice dripper system with a valve, but need better tubing for it. So far he seems to like the setup a lot better! I think I need more branches n such for him to walk around on. I will be taking nicer pics in the near future, but probably after I make a pedestal-type stand for his enclosure. Ah well, enjoy these for now!

0702001325a.jpg

0702001321.jpg

0701002104.jpg

0628002150.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn73/chubbyfire/0629002030.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn73/chubbyfire/0628002149.jpg

Its not in any of those pics, but its an 18in reptisun 5.0. It came via fedex the day after :)

Andy if you are looking at the repti fogger, let me know. I have 3 or 4 I don't use. I hate them. Be happy to send you one.:) I buy a $30 crane humidifier at target and it is wayyyyyy better that a $70 repti fogger.jmo

Your baby is coloring up very nicely. I think you are doing a really good job with him.

Back
Top Bottom