Returned chameleon

Tacomii0825

So recently I bought a veiled chameleon off of PetSmart I know terrible mistake but she got sick and I returned her to get vet care but just wondering how likely is it that she will make it and if she does should I take her back or just move on with a reputable breeder. I’m not sure how reliable petsmarts vet is and her symptoms were her eyes closing she turned a bit pale and since I got her she barely ever ate for a week. She also just today the day I returned her developed a small bump between her leg and on her hind foot. I’m devastated by this cuz I fear she won’t make it due to the stress. I was wondering if she does recover should I take her back and if not well I can’t just throw out the hundreds of dollars I spent on her cage and the rest of her supplies. Would you guys reccomend reputable breeders for machakos hills Jackson’s chameleons?

So recently I bought a veiled chameleon off of PetSmart I know terrible mistake but she got sick and I returned her to get vet care but just wondering how likely is it that she will make it and if she does should I take her back or just move on with a reputable breeder. I’m not sure how reliable petsmarts vet is and her symptoms were her eyes closing she turned a bit pale and since I got her she barely ever ate for a week. She also just today the day I returned her developed a small bump between her leg and on her hind foot. I’m devastated by this cuz I fear she won’t make it due to the stress. I was wondering if she does recover should I take her back and if not well I can’t just throw out the hundreds of dollars I spent on her cage and the rest of her supplies. Would you guys reccomend reputable breeders for machakos hills Jackson’s chameleons?
Petsmart chameleons are in 90% situations in bad condition in some ways. We can’t tell if she is going to make it because we dont know anything about her problems.. I think it would be nice from you to take her back.. but if you are new to chameleons world you should start with 100% healthy chameleon honestly. And it would be better if you take a male because females lay infertile eggs even if they dont breed. Hope she does fine in the end!

It’s hard to say if she will be ok without a lot of information. What I can say based on what you said, that she is pale in color, and has her eyes closed, and isn’t interested in eating, is that it sounds to me like a lighting problem. As far as the bump I don’t know. Chameleons don’t have the ability to regulate their body temperature, and is why heating is necessary for them to be healthy, but if it’s too hot, or if the UVB is too strong, the chameleon will turn a pale color in attempt to reflect heat so they can cool down, and being overheated too long can cause life long damage. The fact that she had her eyes closed also leads me to think lighting, and when their eyes are burned, they can’t see their prey so they won’t eat. So if it’s ok I would like to ask a few questions, so that if she comes through, and you decide to keep her, you will know you have the right tools to keep her healthy. I do think it would be better than going with another type of chameleon, because the others are more difficult to care for, so veiled are generally the better starter chameleon. Now pets mart often sells people all the wrong stuff, and when we are new to chameleons we don’t know until someone tells us, so we need to know what your housing her in? Glass of screen and size? Do you have a bare bottom or do you have substrate? What lighting are you using? Heating and UVB? And is the UVB a coil light or a linear bar? What kind of light are you using for heating? And do you turn the lights all off at night? How close are the lights to her basking spot, please measure in inches? What is she eating, and how often, what is her supplements schedule, and how do you provide drinking water?

Back
Top Bottom