Retaining Humidity Methods?

Tyzoone

Hey all,

I was curious as to the methods you guys n gals are using to keep your humidity levels up for your panthers specifically? I live in Utah and it's a pretty dry climate and was wondering if I need to take methods beyond your typical regular mistings and drip systems to keep them hydrated and whatnot in my area.

For example, I was thinking of buying the typical mesh cage from mist king and then wrapping painters plastic around 3 of the sides (because plastic retains humidity like crazy). Or custom building a cage with 3 plexiglass sides to help it out as well.

OR am I totally blowing this out of proportion and everything will be fine with the regular mistings?

With regular mistings and allot of live plants you should be able to keep the humidity up. I have found that the pothos plant holds water for allot time and that helps with the humidity. Try using 2 or maybe even 3 pothos in the enclosure.

Hey all,

For example, I was thinking of buying the typical mesh cage from mist king and then wrapping painters plastic around 3 of the sides (because plastic retains humidity like crazy). Or custom building a cage with 3 plexiglass sides to help it out as well.

OR am I totally blowing this out of proportion and everything will be fine with the regular mistings?

I have lived in very dry climates too (high elevation CO) and found using the plastic on the cage, a lot of live plants, frequent misting, and even adding an ultrasonic humidifier was sometimes needed. It can work!

you can use the plastic bag method and use plants. i split a pothos into 4 and its thriving. i have them mounted down 1 corner of his cage. i set the dripper over the top pothos and it drains into the next plant. like a waterfall. pothos seems to be immune to root rot.

Thanks for the tips everybody. I guess it's the price we pay right? Maybe I'll just relocate to a warmer climate? This hobby gets more and more pricey/worth it...

I keep veiled chameleons, not panthers but I keep my humidity up with general misting and live plants. Keep the compost moist and it should retain humidity.

I have read also that it's okay to panel up 2 sides of the cage as it helps to keep humidity in

In a way I am also lucky as I live in a natural humid country :D

Back
Top Bottom