Retained sperm

Dank241

Just a quick question. I have a female Jackson's Chameleon and she was with a male for about 3 weeks before I separated them. This was back in Nov. now she is looking a bit fatter the past 2 weeks, she is about 6in snout to vent and is 20grams. She basks vertically now during the day and rests horizontally at night.

I guess I am just wondering if it is possible for her to retain sperm that long?

You are aware that Jackson's are live-bearers? If I am not mistaken on gestation time, she may be getting ready to drop babies.

From what I have experienced, once mated, it usually takes anywhere from 6 to 10 months depending on the temperature they are kept at. If she is gravid, and considering her size and the time frame, she should be more than 20 grams.
Most Jacksons are very plump before giving birth.

"You are aware that Jackson's are live-bearers?"

Yes I am.

I combined the 2 responses.

"If I am not mistaken on gestation time, she may be getting ready to drop babies." from Julirs
"If she is gravid, and considering her size and the time frame, she should be more than 20 grams." from lancecham.

This is why I am asking the retained sperm question:confused:. its only been about the last 2 weeks she started plumping up a bit. I weighed her yesterday and I am gonna continue to do so weekly.:p

Thank you for the responses !! :D

From what I have experienced, once mated, it usually takes anywhere from 6 to 10 months depending on the temperature they are kept at.

I want to ask whether the sperm was retained at least 6 months as long as they mate up? even the female was forced to mate and without gestation.

The second is how to make the sperm inside keep the longest time in female body. cold environment?
Thanks

20 g gravid xanth?

From what I have experienced, once mated, it usually takes anywhere from 6 to 10 months depending on the temperature they are kept at. If she is gravid, and considering her size and the time frame, she should be more than 20 grams.
Most Jacksons are very plump before giving birth.
roger that, i cant even imagine a 20g jacksons being gravid, let alone having a healthy clutch and living through it. typically a late term gravid xanth will weigh between 75-150 g. considering time frame she should (if gravid) be fairly far along and in all likely hood displaying gravid coloration. see post #5 (on the left) for typical gravid coloration. https://www.chameleonforums.com/expect-babies-soon-36311/index4.html jmo

Back
Top Bottom