Resurrected crickets...WTH?

MelissaB

Avid Member
Yesterday I was cleaning up my cricket bin, feeding, watering, and removing the dead ones. None of the "dead" were moving, but I guess they were in mid-molt. I went to throw something in the outdoor trash can this morning and was greeted by 3 presumed dead crickets jumping around. I let them go outside, because I know they're no good for feeding anymore. But how can I tell the difference between a dead cricket and molting cricket in the future? I know that's a really stupid question, but I figured this would be the place to ask it.

Sometimes they can go "dormant" if its a little cooler in the bin. But i seriously doubt that it was cold enough in there for them to do so. What you can do is scoop out what you think are the deeds then wait a few days and see if they were just molting.

Why do you think that the crickets that were just molting arent good to feed? They are actually more easily digestible after they have molted and are still soft.

Thanks, Chamman, I'll put the "dead/fakers" in s box for a day before I dump them next time. It's been pretty warm in the garage, that's why I thought they died. Mike is right about why I don't think they were safe to feed. Not because of them molting, but because the possibility that they ate something or crawled on something nasty. Ewwwww, lol.

Back
Top Bottom