Restless Veiled Chameleon: Searching for Nesting Box?

scs

My female Veiled Chameleon (about 5-7 months, from Petsmart, about 6 inches without tail) has been restless for the past 5 days. She only eats two or three insects per day, usually she would eat about 15. I have read that these are signs that mean she might lay eggs soon. She is often walking on the ground near her nesting box, but she never goes into it.
The temperature around her box is about 65 F, and it is a moist mixture of perlite and desert blend sand. At the top of her cage, it is usually 85 F, and the vertical shape of her cage lets her regulate her temperature. She has a Powersun UV 160 watt lamp, 150 watt ceramic heat emitter, and a CFL growth light**. Her cage is five feet tall, 3 feet wide and 3 feet deep*.

Any suggestions? What shall I do, if anything?

* Colossal Corner Lizard Cage
http://www.bigappleherp.com/Colossal-Corner-Lizard-Cage
36" x 36" x 22" x 22" x 22" and a height of 74”

** MaxLite SKQ100AE50 HighMax 5000K E39

Picture of Iggy.jpg

Picture of Iggy 2.jpg

Birds-eye-view of sand-nesting box.jpg

box-size.jpg

cage.jpg

You might want to wrap the bottom foot or so of the cagge with something opaque as well as adding the branch so she has privacy in the box.

I am using perlite and 'desert blend- ground English walnut shells' in the box. It is a bit crumbly, but still moist. Does it need to be wetter or just normal sand?

I will definitely put in a branch. Should it go into the box, or just lead up to the edge?

For the privacy covering, does it have to be opaque or can it be a towel, or something sturdier?

Thank you for your help!

Is this a better set up? I put poster boards around the bottom so that she has privacy, and added a branch that goes into her nesting/sand box. Is there anything else I should take note of and improve? :confused:

cage with setup.jpg

box with extra branch.jpg

Your girl and your set up are both gorgeous! I do not have a female but from reading about them the only other thing is to make sure the box is large enough, deep enough and the material in the box should be moist enough for the tunnel not to cave in on itself. So maybe a bigger box and make sure it is moist enough. Otherwise, I think just let her to herself. Even if they think you are around, they won't lay. So I don't know if you should just cover her whole cage or not. The check on her when the lights are out, and even then you have to be sneaky (I think)! But I do love your set up!

If you have a 5 gal bucket, for example, that would be a better bin. Females will dig down 12" into the laying medium so it's important that it's deep. And because they dig that far down it needs to consist of something that won't crumble around her while she'll all the way at the bottom. Soil or sand work really well for this, they will hold a perfect tunnel when moist enough without caving in.

That cage is spectacular, by the way! I'm jealous.

She doesn’t look gravid to me. Chameleons take on a more rounded shape when they are close to laying. That said; always have a lay bucket in her cage just in case. Those blue spots indicate to me she is receptive and her increased activity level can be her looking for some male accompaniment combined with the start of spring (longer days and warmer temps).

Gorgeous cage! I have no room right now for something like that but it’s something to strive for.

She doesn’t look gravid to me. Chameleons take on a more rounded shape when they are close to laying. That said; always have a lay bucket in her cage just in case. Those blue spots indicate to me she is receptive and her increased activity level can be her looking for some male accompaniment combined with the start of spring (longer days and warmer temps).

Gorgeous cage! I have no room right now for something like that but it’s something to strive for.

:confused:Do blue spots always mean that she is receptive? If she isn't gravid now, then when do you think she will be? Should I keep the poster boards up for privacy or will it be a while until she is gravid? She isn't eating very much, and is a little rounder than usual, but she hasn't even tried out her sandbox yet. :eek:
Thank you (everyone) for your help! I am going to try get a bigger box and better sand soon, just in case.

colossal corner cage top

Hello. I just got this same cage, thinking it had a wire top. But it seems to have a top that is made from solid metal (white color). So I have no idea how to put lights on top of this that can get to the lizard. But you seem to have done it. Can you please let me know if you modified somehow to put lights on top? Or is there just something I'm not understanding about how to assemble the cage? It doesn't seem like there is a piece in there for a wire top, only a wire bottom above the slide out tray.

I am purchasing the same cage. I am also interested in how best to mount lighting & heat lamps. Can anyone provide good suggestions???

She is not gravid but even if she were I doubt she’d use that bin. Toss out whatever you have and go with moist playsand.

My female Veiled Chameleon (about 5-7 months, from Petsmart, about 6 inches without tail) has been restless for the past 5 days. She only eats two or three insects per day, usually she would eat about 15. I have read that these are signs that mean she might lay eggs soon. She is often walking on the ground near her nesting box, but she never goes into it.
The temperature around her box is about 65 F, and it is a moist mixture of perlite and desert blend sand. At the top of her cage, it is usually 85 F, and the vertical shape of her cage lets her regulate her temperature. She has a Powersun UV 160 watt lamp, 150 watt ceramic heat emitter, and a CFL growth light**. Her cage is five feet tall, 3 feet wide and 3 feet deep*.

Any suggestions? What shall I do, if anything?

* Colossal Corner Lizard Cage
http://www.bigappleherp.com/Colossal-Corner-Lizard-Cage
36" x 36" x 22" x 22" x 22" and a height of 74”

** MaxLite SKQ100AE50 HighMax 5000K E39

View attachment 93614

View attachment 93615

View attachment 93616

View attachment 93617

View attachment 93618

Not sure if anyone touched on this. But 15 a day is a bit extreme and by a bit i mean quite. 8 every other day is proper, shes probably not hungry on that side of things. Something to keep in mind is that in general we feed captive chameleons too much food. (Love the enclosure)

Cool cage! Clarice was very restless for 2 -3 weeks leading up to her laying her eggs. I think she was receptive and a combination of looking for a mate and a suitable laying area. She laid her eggs without issue in a combination of dirt/coco earth that was 6-8” deep and very wide.

The privacy fence will help a lot... maybe put a plant in it or nearby, as Clarice dug in around the plant roots and Ive heard of girls laying in plant pots instead of laybins.

Back
Top Bottom