Restless female chameleon

Benjamin Tjan

So my chameleon Wally (named her before I found out she was a girl) has been going up and down her cage. I’m not sure what the reason is she could be trying to find a place to lay eggs but I haven’t seen her dig at the corners or go in her laying bin which should meet her requirements based on size and is tunnel test. Please help me out 🙁

Included pictures of when she does it and her cage setup

Attachments

• 9C5303A4-5198-45B5-919C-4FF49200DFC4.jpeg
    9C5303A4-5198-45B5-919C-4FF49200DFC4.jpeg
    303.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 20C24419-5FD4-425D-9668-06447295250E.jpeg
    20C24419-5FD4-425D-9668-06447295250E.jpeg
    305.9 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 72
Should also mention she is next to my window door and is often clawing towards that side of her cage so not sure if I need to move her?

Please fill this out:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Please fill this out:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, female, maybe 5 months (got her from petco), 4 months and a few days
  • Handling - Maybe once a week for a few minutes if she will let me, took her around my room last week for about 10 minutes
  • Feeding - around 5 crickets and and 4 super worms every other day, 4 crickets in-between to make sure she has food if she wants it, crickets and superworms are fed carrots, apples, and kale
  • Supplements - Dust feeders everyday with calcium without d3 and on the 1st and 22nd dust with multivitamin and with d3 calcium
  • Watering - She has a dripper that drips onto her dracaena tree leaves and a mister that goes on in the morning and night , never see her drinking but based on her last urate it was white so she seems hydrated
  • Fecal Description - normal looking feces and urates are white, have been smaller since she hasnt been eating as much, has never been tested for parasites
  • History - was from petco so didnt know much about her before then but she was healthy and eating/drinking when i got her

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - reptibreeze 2x2x4 screen cage
  • Lighting - Zood-med heat bulb 100w, reptisun 22 inch t5 5.0 UVB linear light. lights on from 7am to 7pm
  • Temperature - basking spot is kept at 85 degrees, bottom of cage is around 70-71. 2 thermometers and a house thermometer
  • Humidity - humidity ranges from 30-38% throughout the day, measured using humidity gauge, misting in morning and night and humidifier near cage
  • Plants - 2 money trees, 4 pothos plants, and 1 dracaena tree
  • Placement - cage is kept in right corner of room on the floor (didnt have a table space big enough to put it on) next to window door, only pretty much me in the room and once in a while my dog comes to sleep in the other corner (not visible for either of them)
  • Location - Southern California

Current Problem - Has been going to bottom of cage and scratching towards window and sometimes goes to top of cage and hangs on side then goes back to basking spot, been eating a lot less (think she is just fully grown)

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

its pot soil and play-sand mixed and i made it 8 inches so she wouldnt keep diggin.
Ok good, it was just hard for me to tell from the pictures.

So, it looks like there isn't a ton of coverage in her cage, especially around the lay bin. She might not be digging because she feels like she doesn't have enough privacy.
@MissSkittles

Ok good, it was just hard for me to tell from the pictures.

So, it looks like there isn't a ton of coverage in her cage, especially around the lay bin. She might not be digging because she feels like she doesn't have enough privacy.
@MissSkittles
would you recommend just covering the bottom of the cage for a day or 2 with a blanket or something?

Back
Top Bottom