Respitory infection in brand new female. Trying reptaid.

Update 3-2

Gave 5th dose of reptaid today.

RI symptoms remain the same. Slight gasping for air at times and mucus in the mouth.

Energy levels, appetite, drinking, behavior, and physical appearance all remain normal.

Here's some pictures of her today.
full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so I read that you don't like giving drugs to your chams and that's why you chose the reptaid have you had success with using it in the past? When my Cham had an RI I did tons of research trying to find a natural alternative and everything that I read on reptaid is it was a hoax for treating any type of infections that maybe at best it was a good stimulant for chams on hunger strikes? Have you noticed any sort of improvement or would you say it's just kept thing stable?

Ok so I read that you don't like giving drugs to your chams and that's why you chose the reptaid have you had success with using it in the past? When my Cham had an RI I did tons of research trying to find a natural alternative and everything that I read on reptaid is it was a hoax for treating any type of infections that maybe at best it was a good stimulant for chams on hunger strikes? Have you noticed any sort of improvement or would you say it's just kept thing stable?

I can't say I've seen any definitive improvement. She seems to be saying stable though. I'm guessing reptaid is nothing more than an immune system support/appetite stimulant. I'm hoping with the induced fever and the reptaid her immune system will have enough aid to fight the bacteria. I have read some reports on the forums that reptaid has helped chams overcome RI's.

Update 3-3

Gave 6th dose of reptaid today.

RI symptoms remain the same. Slight gasping for air at times and mucus in the mouth.

Energy levels, appetite, drinking, behavior, and physical appearance all remain normal.

Trying to make sure her temps remain elevated at night, so wherever she falls asleep I aim a 50 watt red basking light at her.

I have not gone through this whole thread, But has she been to the vet? Some Baytril would probably help her out

No she has not been to the vet yet. Since her appetite, behavior, energy levels, and such was fine I decided to try reptaid that I had to buy from the same people I got her from. More than likely I will be taking her to the vet on Monday or Tuesday. This whole situation is turning out to be very sad and frustrating.

-Alex

I'm not trying to sound cold at all and I really hope she pulls through but I would exchange her for your money back or if they won't give your money back then an exchange for a healthy Cham. I have dealt with your situation before and I respect your efforts but IMO if she is packed correctly with heat packs and a 10am overnight back to the breeder she will make it back fine. The only reason I say this is I had a Cham with health problems when arrived and the breeder even paid for half of the vet bills as i turned down returning him but the Cham was just never healthy again and always seemed sick and lethargic. People are born every day with ailments that they will never overcome and I truly believe that was the situation with the Cham I had but after the breeder had paid for half the vet visit i didnt have another option and in my situation I took care of that chameleon for 2years which he seemed sick the entire two years. I hope this isn't the case and she pulls through and has a great life with you but if you have the opportunity to exchange or get your money back I personally would do it as I too felt attached and getting a chameleon is supposed to be exciting not upsetting. Just my opinion

Gave 6th dose of reptaid today.

Trying to make sure her temps remain elevated at night, so wherever she falls asleep I aim a 50 watt red basking light at her.

How long are you going to wait before you take her to see a vet? Your window of opportunity is shrinking.

How long are you going to wait before you take her to see a vet? Your window of opportunity is shrinking.

Not long at all. I e-mailed the vendor and asked him what he would do to treat her besides giving her reptaid if I returned her for a full refund(as I will never be purchasing from this breeder again and do not want an exchange for another one of their animals) and when he responded he completly ignored the question and told me to mail her back in the same container I received her in(he didn't even mention anything about a heat pack, and its about 30 degrees here in Illinois). Gonna try and get her to a vet on monday or tuesday.

Update 3-4

Gave 7th dose of reptaid today.

Here's a pic of my DIY warm steam chamber. Sorry for the bad quality pic.
full

Last edited by a moderator:
update 3-12

While the reptaid was seeming to keep her stable her symptoms never really improved so I took her to the vet the about 4 or 5 days ago. She perscribed some antibiotics(trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole) and today I gave her the third dose. I'm making sure to keep her extra hydrated and so far everthing looks good. Appetite, energy levels, behavior, and physical appearance all remain normal. Any suggestions from people that have used this medication before would be appreciated.
-Alex

Back
Top Bottom