Respiratory Infection

xeonic

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Furcifer Pardalis names Snickers, Male, 2 years 8 months. In my cage for 2 months.
Handling - I handle once a day 15 minutes. My Chameleon loves to be held and comes to me.
Feeding - I feed crickets, Horndworms, and silk worms. eats 3 -5 large crickets every day. Or one large worm. Gut loading with Oranges, Apples, Squash.
Supplements - was using rep-cal vitamins x2 a week and D3 x2 a week. Dust with Phos free exoterra Calcium every day. Recently switched to Repashy all in one + calcium which I plan on use everyday. Though due to finding out that I have been using the rep-cal too much I have cut off the Vitamins all together. It has been one week and few days since last use of any vitmans. Will be waiting a month before starting to dust with Repashy.
Watering - I have the Monsoon 400 which he can drink off of the leaves, and a small drip system running off of a fake leaf back into a tube which recycles back into a covered bowel. I haven't seen him drink in a while, which I thought was because I'm not home allot, and I feed him lots of silk and hornedworms which provides hydration.
Fecal Description - Brown poop with white tip. orangish gel at top of pooh on opposite side of urate. Was tested for parasites one week ago using smear and float method. Parasite free.

Cage Info: LWH 4 x 2 x 4 feet, glass + Mesh on sides and bottom.
Lighting - one 10.0 Reptiglow 48" linear tube. One 160W Mercury Vapour bulb for basking off to one side of cage. one 48" linear 6500k tube for plants. one 60W bulb off to other side of cage for basking. One coil flourescent bulb for plants in centre of cage.
Temperature - Ambient temperature from 71 to 74 F. Basking 90F two busking spots. nightly temps drop to 69 F. I have a Digital probe thermometer.
Humidity - 90 to 50 using a Flukers digital hygrometer/thermometer. I use a Monsoon 400 set to mist for 60 Seconds every hour 1/2.
Plants - I use live Bromelaids through out my enclosure.
Placement - Living room, by my living room window. by a heat vent. 3 feet off of the floor.
Location - Canada.

-Current Problem -
Respiratory Infection. Not sure if it is upper or lower. I can hear a faint clicking when the Chameleon moves. It had a sneeze for a few days or so but that went away on its own. No mucus coming out of nose or mouth. I took to my Vet who diagnosed as a mild respiratory infection. And described his Saliva as a bit on the ropey side. Vet recommends I soak him in luke-warm water for 10-15 minutes a day for a week as my Vet thinks he is slightly dehydrated possibly due to the infection.
Vet prescribed Chloramphenical 0.1ml every 24 hours for 21 days.

My question is does anyone have experience with Chloramphenical with Respiratory infections? or with what my Vet has recommended?

i have used chloramphenicol, for mouth rot but not for a ri, i do know that you do not want to get in on your skin, as it can harm humans.
i have used baytril for ri issues before.

Your vet will need to do a culture and sensitivity test to see which antibiotic will work on the type of infection your chameleon has.

I've also never used that I used baytril and I used the enebulization method and after the second treatment there were virtually no signs of the RI

Well I guess all I can do really is go with what My vet has recommended. I will update this tread with his progress. I also have some Baytril though I don't know the proper dosage and its a few months old. I don't know what the expiry date is on Baytril. So basically I wont be using it. Wish me luck.

Sorry to hear she's not feeling so hot. I had a female with same problem and vet gave me pre-measured baytril for her and worked out great! He also said to make sure her cage gets time in between waterings to dry out well and to make sure her cage is dried out well before lights out. Best of luck.

After the culture and sensitive test my vets prescribes the antibiotic. He has me increase the temps and humidity to 80% by using a warm air humidifier 24/7 also give steamy showers. The warm mist will help to loosen the mucus in the lungs so they can expel it and breathe easier. You want to keep the mucus cleared out of the mouth as best you can.

Well so far no improvements at 6 days in. My Vet called me yesterday to check up. I was given the options to wait it out longer as he hasn't been on the medication for long. Or to do a Culture test. I was advised the chameleon would have to be sedated and a tube put down his trachea to take a sample. Then I was told its going to cost me around $200.00? Im starting to get worried. I think I'll be looking into another Vet clinic.

I've also never used that I used baytril and I used the enebulization method and after the second treatment there were virtually no signs of the RI

my male month old veiled is also having RI :( i asked the vet for baytril which she said she has but does not know how to administer to reptiles. we don't have a reptile vet here in the philippines. anyway, what is the dosage of baytril? oral or injected? what solution do you use to nebulize your cham? thanks. really need help :)

It is now day 15. Still no improvement, or him getting worse. He still clicks when he's active. I don't hear him clicking when he is sitting still. I hear a sneeze once and a while. Like one every other day. Still has a healthy appetite, very active Chameleon, Seem's to be putting on weight.

I have been informed that raising the ambient temperature, And lowering humidity can help. Any other suggestions?

Hey!
Well its good Snickers is putting on weight.
I really dont have anything to add.
I agree that keeping him dry and warm should help.

Thanks Solid Snake. I have been reading up on Respiratory infections. I wish I had done this sooner. It probably would have helped him combat the infection.

Thanks Solid Snake. I have been reading up on Respiratory infections. I wish I had done this sooner. It probably would have helped him combat the infection.

Well, live and learn!;)

I have spent so much time studying things on chameleons, it seems like I should know everything by now:rolleyes: but I still have made mistakes where I knew better:mad::eek:
Cant kick yourself, just do your best to care for him, and learn as you go.;)
Im sure hell fine before you know it!:)

My mistake was too much humidity in a glass enclosure. Plus I think I bought him with the RI and didn't realize what the clicking sound meant. Though I'm sure I made it worse with the high humidity.

Update:
I spoke with my Vet today as the Chloramphenical has not been working. We will be switching to Baytril, only after I refused the culture test as I was advised it's going to cost $450.00. I was advised they don't want to do a trachea swab as it will be inaccurate due to bacteria in the mouth. And that my Vet want's to sedate my chameleon. pump fluid into his lungs and suck it back out to do a culture test. which apparently is going to cost me $450.00. Has anyone asked how their Vet does a culture test? I'm very frustrated at this point.

Update:
I spoke with my Vet today as the Chloramphenical has not been working. We will be switching to Baytril, only after I refused the culture test as I was advised it's going to cost $450.00. I was advised they don't want to do a trachea swab as it will be inaccurate due to bacteria in the mouth. And that my Vet want's to sedate my chameleon. pump fluid into his lungs and suck it back out to do a culture test. which apparently is going to cost me $450.00. Has anyone asked how their Vet does a culture test? I'm very frustrated at this point.

:eek:
I have never heard of such a thing.
That sounds terrible:(
Hope that the baytril does the trick.

Buddy this sucks...

:(
Damn man.

It sounds rough.
Ive never really dealt with a sick cham.
My Stella has an infection in at least her eyes. We see the vet in the morning. I really hope it goes well. Its stressful thinking about it now, so I imagine what your going through isnt very fun.

Sorry to hear about your Chameleons eye infection. I Hope the best for her.
Yes its frustrating. I read the forums and people make it sound like their respiratory infections went away with in a few days.

Back
Top Bottom