Respiratory Infection?

RicoTheChem

My juvenile veiled chameleon seems very healthy but i just noticed a small bubble coming from his mouth. It lasted for about a quarter of a second then popped. I dont know if it was just saliva or mucus from URI. I am new to chameleons and am very terrified that my little rico might die. The closest vet that does reptiles is 133 miles away or 2 hours away. He is pointed up but i dont know if its due to the limb thats under him. About every 4 days i will notice him gasp/yawn and i dont know if thats a sign or not. He does live in a glass tank but in 1-2 days my screen cage should come in the post office. Please let me know if it is URI and how much a vet visit will cost i am willing to spend anything on him. Also in one of the pictures you can see him sitting in an awkward position but he has done that since the day i got him. I got him from petco which was a bad idea. IMG_0487[1].JPG IMG_0486[1].JPG IMG_0488[1].JPG And another thing. He had just finished being misted when i saw the bubble

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    273.4 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
I do know they yawn quite often from time to time. How long has he been in the aquarium? A vet visit in my state costs roughly around 115. He's probably not fond of his home and wants out.

I do know they yawn quite often from time to time. How long has he been in the aquarium? A vet visit in my state costs roughly around 115. He's probably not fond of his home and wants out.

Hes been in there for about 2 or 3 weeks. I do let him out quite often to go explore around and seems quite active. I fan out the air every day to prevent stagnent air from collecting air. I also use a terrarium liner which is almost like a carpet to replace subtrate. I noticed that mold started to grow in the subtrate and threw it out instantly. I live in louisiana so its pretty humid here even in the late winter/fall

Yeah 2-3 weeks is pretty long. Bacteria build up and mold is a really dangerous exposure to them. I'd wait it out till you get your cage in a few days and move him in. Then see if he clears up.

If he's in a fish aquarium with no good ventilation, chances are he's got a respiratory infection or could develope one. I recommend strongly a screen enclosure. To much humidity and lack of ventilation can cause these to happen easily. Veileds don't require a ton of humidity and that's why most keepers raise them in a screen enclosure. Just keep a close eye on him, if he continues to breathe saliva bubbles and sits with his head tilted up, breathes and makes raspy sounds, or wheezes, he should be seen by a vet.

If he's in a fish aquarium with no good ventilation, chances are he's got a respiratory infection or could develope one. I recommend strongly a screen enclosure. To much humidity and lack of ventilation can cause these to happen easily. Veileds don't require a ton of humidity and that's why most keepers raise them in a screen enclosure. Just keep a close eye on him, if he continues to breathe saliva bubbles and sits with his head tilted up, breathes and makes raspy sounds, or wheezes, he should be seen by a vet.

This is the only time i have ever seen him do that and it came from his mouth . My new screen cage is supposed to be coming in soon.

Back
Top Bottom