Respiratory infection in new brookesia stumpffi that I just received any help is nice

Jwillchamel

Established Member
I just received this little female on Tuesday. In the container that she was shipped in I noticed her mouth kept opening up. So of course I think that she's just hot so I pull her out and put her in her enclosure and leave her alone. I come back a few hours later and notice that she still keeps opening her mouth and sticking her tongue out and at times closing her mouth on her tongue. At first I thought her tongue was swollen. So I pulled her out and took a closer look at her mouth to make sure nothing is stuck in her mouth like a cricket leg. Upon looking inside I found no obstruction. But I did notice that when she opens her mouth she has little bubbles and it looks like she has mucus dried and her nostrils. So this to me makes me think that this is a respiratory problem. These chameleons or very small and very hard to administer antibiotics. If anyone out there nose a dosage that can be administered please let me know. I am doing everything in my power to make sure that she makes it through this. She has a vet appointment today just to confirm that this is a respiratory problem. I am hoping the vet will be able to tell me a dosing chart. I do believe she came to me with this respiratory problem. 20170818_074437.jpg 20170818_074501.jpg 20170816_170228.jpg 20170815_144114.jpg

She looks very plump...are you sure she's not just gravid and having difficulty breathing because she's due? Just a thought.

I do believe she came to me with this respiratory problem.
Oh no, poor little thing! Shipping creates a lot of stress as I'm sure you know, so she might have been somewhat compromised before she was even purchased which could have set her up for the RI. In one pic her nares look swollen too (but I'm not familiar with the little leaf species). I agree she does look plump/gravid and we know many newly imported females come in this way. One thing that might determine whether she's sick or just struggling to breathe is her overall behavior. If she's moving around, alert, drinking, hunting she probably isn't sick. If she's sitting dark and quiet with her snout up, ignoring food or water, eyes shut, she's definitely sick.

She looks very plump...are you sure she's not just gravid and having difficulty breathing because she's due? Just a thought.
She def isnt gravid she has been separated from males for past 4months i took to vet they said def respiratory infection but cant treat her due to her size

Back
Top Bottom