Respiratory infection and need to increase heat. Need suggestions

mattlopez328

Came from the vet yesterday and my chameleon has a respiratory infection and he told me to raise to heat to 90 degrees. he said to change the basking for a red light to increase heat, i have a 100 watt red light and the cage is still 80 degrees. I need SUGGESTIONS!!!!!:confused:

I am not so sure the red gives off more heat. Do you have your light laying right on top of the enclsoure? Can you raise your basking perch closer to the light without your chameleon getting burned by getting too close to the screen?

Just be creative! You may have to go up in wattage, and not necessarily in red light (I wouldn't use colored lights at all, they're not natural) and maybe add a second basking light if you have to. But bulbs come in 150w so there's bound to be something you can find at Walmart or Home Depot to help you.

My vet said that its just for the time being that they put out more heat, should i go up another 50 watts? you think that would make it change 10 degrees?

oh you live in Florida. I live in lake worth. Gorgeous weather here. I have my cham outside right now. I would suggest getting him out in the sunlight. Its pretty warm in the sun right now. I am about an hour 15 min north of you. Nothing like natural light and the fresh air cannot hurt I am sure.

it just finished raining so its like 75 and a little breezy, isn't that a little to cold?

another question, when my vet says 90, he means basking correct? not the whole cage? because then i am fine because i raised the branch making the basking hot enough

75 and breezy is not too cold. They can withstand temperatures much colder.

Yes, that is the basking spot. If the whole cage were 90 you'd burn the little guy. :p

Did your vet do a culture and sensitivy test?
He will need an antibiotic that his type infection is sensitive to. Along with raising the heat I also use a warm mist humidifier.

He wanted to but i did not have enough money. He gave me baytrill for the moment to see if he improves, i have another appointment in two weeks to see if the medicine is working.

He wanted to but i did not have enough money. He gave me baytrill for the moment to see if he improves, i have another appointment in two weeks to see if the medicine is working.

Please let me know if your Chameleon gets better with the Baytril. My Chameleon has an RI also. He's not wheezing though, but my vet prescribed a different antibiotic, which isn't working.

Back
Top Bottom