Respiratory infection and laying

Lexlynn

Established Member
I took my girl to the vet and she is now on day 4 of antibiotics and she seems to be doing better, she’s roaming the cage more and seems to have the energy to dig. She is currently digging getting ready to lay. How soon after laying should I feed her? And I handle her daily to give her antibiotics is it okay I do this right after she lays? My poor chameleon is really going through it this week

I'd be more concerned about having to handle her before she lays the eggs...while she's into the digging and all. If she's up in the branches and not digging, that would be the best time to give her the meds and feed her, IMHO.

Don't let her see you watching her while she's digging. I'd cover the cage so she has peace to do the job.

You can feed her as soon as she has returned to the branches after she has laid the eggs and filled and tamped down the substrate and returned to the branches as well.

You can feed her during the days she's digging too but it needs to be done when she's not digging and with as little disturbance as possible.

You can mist down the cage too if you don't disturb her while she's digging.

There's only so many days that they will dig and lay before they lose the desire and become eggbound...so try to keep disturbances to a very bare minimum.

I'd be more concerned about having to handle her before she lays the eggs...while she's into the digging and all. If she's up in the branches and not digging, that would be the best time to give her the meds and feed her, IMHO.

Don't let her see you watching her while she's digging. I'd cover the cage so she has peace to do the job.

You can feed her as soon as she has returned to the branches after she has laid the eggs and filled and tamped down the substrate and returned to the branches as well.

You can feed her during the days she's digging too but it needs to be done when she's not digging and with as little disturbance as possible.

You can mist down the cage too if you don't disturb her while she's digging.

There's only so many days that they will dig and lay before they lose the desire and become eggbound...so try to keep disturbances to a very bare minimum.
I put a blanket over I hear her digging still i’m just letting her be. She’s been taking the meds good but if she stills digging when it’s time for her dose i’ll just skip it then. She finally started to look better now she’s laying I feel so bad for her

You said..."I put a blanket over I hear her digging still i’m just letting her be. She’s been taking the meds good but if she stills digging when it’s time for her dose i’ll just skip it then. She finally started to look better now she’s laying I feel so bad for her"...remember I'm not a vet, it's just my opinion, but rather than skip the dose just delay it until she's up in the branches and not digging maybe?

You said..."I put a blanket over I hear her digging still i’m just letting her be. She’s been taking the meds good but if she stills digging when it’s time for her dose i’ll just skip it then. She finally started to look better now she’s laying I feel so bad for her"...remember I'm not a vet, it's just my opinion, but rather than skip the dose just delay it until she's up in the branches and not digging maybe?
yeah that’s the plan. Can it take more than 2 days to lay? I haven’t looked in to see where she is yet i’ve just let her be

Often they will dig a couple of test holes then chose one and dig it until they're happy with it. They will turn around, butt down in the hole...usually in the evening and lay the eggs. It can take a short time or they can even sleep in the hole overnight. When done laying all the eggs they will fill the hole in and tamp it down and return to the branches, thinner, hungry and thirsty.

Often they will dig a couple of test holes then chose one and dig it until they're happy with it. They will turn around, butt down in the hole...usually in the evening and lay the eggs. It can take a short time or they can even sleep in the hole overnight. When done laying all the eggs they will fill the hole in and tamp it down and return to the branches, thinner, hungry and thirsty.
I caught her covering it and she’s back up basking !! You think hornworms are a good good choice today because of the hydration ?

Back
Top Bottom