Rescued Veild, Very Bad Shape, HELP PLEASE

Miacane

I drove 120 miles today to rescue a Veild. He looks so dehidrated, skin is loose, and his male parts are sticking out of his vent (she said for a while now). The "owner" said he eats "well" (20 crickets a week((stupid people)) and moves around during the day. After looking throguh the bag of extras they gave me, no dustings for the crickets. Cage set up had a water bowl, no UVB, and a rock house! Thats the info I got from her.

Why do people buy animals without knowing how to care for them!!!!

So, Any tips for getting this guy healthy will be greatly appreciated. I really need to know what is going on with the hemipenes (male organs) sticking out.

I have seen things like the hemipenile thing before with other lizards and they are dried out. I would suggest a vet to get this guy really checked out and see what he needs. He sounds really ruff:(

As for pet care......... Pet stores can also do the damage with improper information:(:(:( Chain stores are the worst!!!

Can't figure out the rock house...... NO IDEA!

Wow that is horrifying. :(

Please take better care of this guy and see if you can help nurse him back to health.

A rock house.. How pathetic! How ignorant. :(

Regarding the hemipenes- it depends on how long the prolapse has occurred for. I have not had this issue but other members on this forum have. Is the tissue dried out or necrotic? What did she mean by "awhile"? Hours? Days? How to approach the prolapse is dependent on how much time has passed since it was noticed. It sounds like a vet appointment specializing in exotics is most likely necessary. If the tissue is dead, an amputation will most likely result. I would reword this thread so that it catches senior members or the likes eye and begin the explanation by filling out the sticky in this "health clinic" section called "How to ask for help". I know you have not had the poor little one long but it will allow others identify areas in which they can appropriately assist you with. Also pictures of the prolapse would be very beneficial.

Thank you all for gettign back to me. I have had him home for about 2 hours and franticly looking for a vet. I found 3 all are an hour or more away. The prolaps is not dying off yet. Owner said days. It is still soft to the touch. What should i rename the thred, I was so frustrated when I wrote the request for help.

if it is not drying out then go to the store (or if you have some already) and put ky jelly on it.

If it turns out that it does have to be amputated they can live without the hemipenes. They are used for reproduction so unless you were worried about breeduing (which I doubt you are) then he should be ok.

Its been some years, but I remember something about mineral oil, witch hazel, or something like that to moisten them and or something. Sorry been years...

Feel bad for the poor guy:(

Hoping this will spring someones memory.

Up Date; Sticky Info

Please know this is in no way a reflection of how I care for my chams. This is the info I gathered by the owner before snatching this guy up. He now has proper lighting, supliments, misting, ect....

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veild
Handling -unknown
Feeding - 20 crickets a week, no dustings, leave crickets in cage
How are you gut-owner fed flukers cricket feed, and quencher
Supplements - none
dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? none
Watering - water bowl
Fecal Description - I have not seen it yet, owner said poops regular
History - Please see the original thread

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Open Air, 2x2x2
Lighting - they had no light on him at all when I picked him up. looked like they had a 60 watt basking lamp. no uvb
Temperature - cold/no temp gauge
Humidity - no misting
Plants - fake
Placement - no idea
Location - SW Virginia

Current Problem - I drove 120 miles today to rescue a Veild. He looks so dehidrated, skin is loose, and his male parts are sticking out of his vent (she said for a while now). The "owner" said he eats "well" (20 crickets a week((stupid people)) and moves around during the day. After looking throguh the bag of extras they gave me, no dustings for the crickets. Cage set up had a water bowl, no UVB, and a rock house! Thats the info I got from her.

Why do people buy animals without knowing how to care for them!!!!

So, Any tips for getting this guy healthy will be greatly appreciated. I really need to know what is going on with the hemipenes (male organs) sticking out.

Last edited:
did you get the ky jelly? If he has had no uvb light then he could very likely have mbd(metabolic bone disease) also. Can you post some pics of him?

Regarding the hemipenes- it depends on how long the prolapse has occurred for. I have not had this issue but other members on this forum have. Is the tissue dried out or necrotic? What did she mean by "awhile"? Hours? Days? How to approach the prolapse is dependent on how much time has passed since it was noticed. It sounds like a vet appointment specializing in exotics is most likely necessary. If the tissue is dead, an amputation will most likely result. I would reword this thread so that it catches senior members or the likes eye and begin the explanation by filling out the sticky in this "health clinic" section called "How to ask for help". I know you have not had the poor little one long but it will allow others identify areas in which they can appropriately assist you with. Also pictures of the prolapse would be very beneficial.

Thank you for the thoughtful help. I reworded the title.

Day 2 update, pictures, treatment, vet appointment

I have an appointment with an exotc vet on Friday. The Tech told me to do a few things till then.

1- every 2 hours a warm soak in water with a wet towel wrapping his body
2- use a small amount of KY with 2 pinches of sugar to keep the prolaps moist and help them retract.
3- syringe feed him Flukers Repta Boost 3 times throughout the day
4- Come see them ASAP tomorow at 3

So I have been doing all of these. Here are some pictures.
100_0551.jpg
100_0549.jpg
100_0548.jpg
100_0546.jpg
100_0550.jpg

He definitely has (or had) MBD and needs to get his calcium back in balance to prevent it from getting worse if he still has it. Continue with the sugar soaking/ky jelly, and talk to the vet about his MBD and what they recommend. You might need to do an X-ray to see how bad it is and go from there.

He definitely has (or had) MBD and needs to get his calcium back in balance to prevent it from getting worse if he still has it. Continue with the sugar soaking/ky jelly, and talk to the vet about his MBD and what they recommend. You might need to do an X-ray to see how bad it is and go from there.

I don't personally have experience with mbd. But I have looked at a lot of cases of mbd on here. I think that his front left leg looked a little weird. Have him checked out. :\

WOW! Poor guy. I cannot believe they thought it was OK to leave his hemipenes sticking out like that. He must be very uncomfortable. They are lucky I wasn't the one to arrive to take him...they would have gotten an earful! Yep, MBD looks bad too. He can live with that if you get him on a great diet from now on, but the hemipene problem may need a lot of attention ASAP.

I am sorry but IMHO put him out of his pain... I know chameleons can come back but this guy is seriously going to be in pain the rest of his life...

Vet visit! Update

Came back form the Vet today! Pender Exotics in Fairfax Virginia. Jamie Torres D.V.M. www.pendervet.com Great Staff!

So this was the regimant I have followed prior to the Vet visit.

Current Treatments
a. Received warm water soaking with thickly fold paper towel covering body
i. Every 2 hours, 5 times yesterday 3 times today
b. Applied a mix of KY Ultragel and 3 pinches of sugar to prolapse after each soaking
c. Syringe fed- Fluker’s Repta Boost
i. 3 times yesterday .3 cc, .1cc each time
ii. Warm water .25cc twice daily between feeding
iii. No feeding today only .25 cc water

He is doing much better today than yesterday. So somethign is working.
Dr. Torres said I did well!

Here was the dyignosis.

The prolapsed hempines were due to a calcified sperm block.
The doctor soaked them and pulled the blocks out!
She was unable to push them back into the vent, too swollen.
She said he showed signs of pulling them back in on his own. They should retract after the swelling reduces.
Continue to put on the KY

She gave him a dose of panacure to stimulate apitite and flush out any paricites.
I am to keep feeding the Flukers Repta Boost with a pinch of Repti Cal calcium with out D3, once daily (in the am) .5cc day one and 1cc days after untill he goes after a criket.

MBS! Yikes! Said it was one of the worst she has seen. X ray would be pointless for diagnosis. Visula inspection was sufficient. Most likely there are fractured bones throughout his body. She feels splinting is more stressfull then helpfull. Propper care moving foward will strengthin bones.

Calcium and and UVB is key. She said calcium without D3 every day as normal. Proper lighting. She quoted a recent studdy from one of her colleuages showing 45 minutes a day in natural sunlight will improve calcium absorption and bone development far better than any UVB lighting over long periods of time. So...its warm out now, he will be spending 45 minutes a day out side. (Fred and Willma Flinstone my other Veild will be joining him)

Call her if he is not improving in 3 days.

So that is it!

$40 for a neglected Cham, $65 on a well needed Vet visit, The feeling of saving Dinno (thats his name now).....Priceless

Thank you all for tunning in. I will put up an update and pics as health returns.

I would suggest continuing with soaking him to help with the swelling. Cold water with as much sugar in it as you can disolve will hopefully help bring down the swelling, then keep the KY on it still too. I know it sounds weird, but sometimes you can kind of gently massage it back in the vent (while you are soaking it in sugar water) if the swelling goes down enough. Its kind of gross, but it can really help.

Back
Top Bottom