Rescued a Chameleon: need help

mastifflvr

Hi,

We rescued a chameleon tonight. Not sure what type of chameleon he or she is (I think a Graceful Chameleon by the research I have done so far) but want to make sure that we offer him the best. He/she is in rough shape. Hadn't eaten in a while, was being given water from a bowl, only one UVB light, nothing to climb and there was so much poop in the terrarium, we threw out everything they had in there for him. Getting a new terrarium for him that is high, not long like he has now (and not glass like his current one), removed the substrate added natural tile to the floor and branches for him to climb. He had nothing to climb on and only had rocks and soil with feces encrusted fake aquarium plants.

What should we get him along with a new enclosure? We purchased some lights but didn't want to use the wrong ones. We went and bought a basking light, UVA and night bulb (we already had lamps from our Bearded Dragon that we lost a year ago (old age)). Also got him calcium powder to dust his food and tropical mist to spray him.

We will be getting a fogger as well (really, we will be getting everything he needs) and will be doing a lot of research over the next few days, getting another reptile was planned, rescuing a chameleon that was being disposed off because the "kids had lost interest" was not. We aren't first time reptile owners but first time chameleon owners so we want to make sure the little guy has everything he could want and need. I attached some photos, including one in a box so you can see the condition of his body. He wasn't in the box long, less than 5 minutes as we cleaned out all the crap that was in his enclosure.

11218163_10154152027494698_8288290263054318734_n.jpg

11755460_10154152042164698_5855365113246226250_n.jpg

11813510_10154152029354698_5686759296364018323_n.jpg

It looks like a female veiled cham to me... Not an expert though... And I hope you know that chams don't drink from water bowls..

Thanks, I was just thinking that he is a she. I do know that they don't drink from bowls. Unfortunately, the owners I got her from did not know that. They said they had her for a year and she drank from the bowl just fine. :( We misted the enclosure and I misted her with a vitamin mist. Took the bowl of water out. Literally, we have had her for 3 hours and will be upgrading everything asap.

Thanks, we have calcium. I will buy D3 and reptivite as well. I am reading through all the pages on here right now. Normally we would wait and research first but they were ready to dump her.

No nightlight. they need a good 10 deg. drop at night and darkness. This is a paraphrase from a recent post I made that may help get you started. "Linear fluorescents are the safest(Reptisun 10.0 or Arcadia 12.0 and get a double fixture so you can also add a 6500K bulb to aid with visible light and plant growth) and used in conjunction with a standard house bulb of the correct wattage to get proper temps for basking." The first three steps to successful chameleon keeping are research, research and research. She does look a bit stunted, but at least she doesn't have swollen and bowed limbs. Good luck and hope she does well with you.

It's also important to provide the chameleon with an appropriate place to lay eggs in the cage since veiled chameleons can produce eggs without having mated.

Thanks everyone. I was up until the wee hours of the morning reading as much as I could on here (who needs to be awake at work:)) and talking with chameleon owners on a group on facebook. I am setting up a lay bin today and we are getting everything for a proper enclosure for her.

I really appreciate the help. :) I left the lights off last night as I wanted to be 100% sure and will be taking the nightlights back today.

Remember to do calcium every day along with d3 bi monthly and reptivite bi monthly

Not a good schedule for supplements. Calcium with D3 should be given at least once a month, twice a month being acceptable. Even the multivitamin can be given a couple of timed a month.

@mastifflvr- First welcome to the forums and the world of chameleons. You seem to be off to a good start, I didn't have anything to add besides the supplementation schedule. Good luck with her!

Chase

Thanks for all the help. We have moved her to a larger, wire enclosure, bought her a pothos plant and set up branches and the plant for her to be able to climb. She has a lay bin and a drip system as well as misting her and keeping the humidity and temperature at the recommended range according to the care sheets.

We purchased the d3 but there was no reptivite at our local store so I ordered it and just waiting for it to come in. She seems really relaxed and enjoying her new enclosure. She loves the basking lamp and lays on her side when she is basking.

No eggs in the lay bin but she did poop, which we were all excited about. :D And she is molting. She is eating well and we have her in a low traffic area. We are limiting contact with her to misting, feeding and cleaning times so she can acclimatize to her new enclosure. She seems really happy to be out of the small cramped cage.

Thanks again for all the help and I will definitely update and keep researching.

Edited to say that I have no reason why there was a sad face in the comment heading because it isn't a sad post.

Back
Top Bottom