Rescue - tongue not sticking

Hi forum members ..

Around a week and a half ago I rescued a female Common Chameleon who was found opposite my daughters school. She was sitting on a tree with very minimal foliage and the tree is located in an empty plot with little or no trees.

Although it was raining on the days I found her, she still seemed very dehydrated and looked weak and sick. I have seen an improvement already, she has atw and drank and has been pretty active...she always got her food after a few close shots from short distances but today she had to literally take the food off the palm of my hand without shooting her tongue as the feeder was not sticking to her tongue..

I have her gut loaded feeders with calcium and multi v one occasion ..any idea? Thinking it's a vitamin deficiency ..her aim is good

The photo where she is dark is on the day I rescued her..will post a more recent where she looks better already

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 221
Are you sure it's a common chameleon. I think it's a female veiled chameleon. Where did you find her.

Yes sure, mentioned in my first post where. I am located in Malta, common chameleons are found in the wild here..

Here's another photo I took today

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 286
Wow looks very very different in that pic. I'm def wrong. But wow you found a beautiful common chameleon. I hope everything works out for you. I'm sure someone here can help.

I have a female jackson that shot at a large hornworm that wouldn't let go, and I believe she sprained her tonge. Her tonge didn't retract and hung out about 3 inches for a short while before it retracted all the way. She isn't shooting now she licks or bites her feeders. I hope her tonge heals . This may be what happened to your common? I also know shooting and sticking can also be a vitamin unbalance or possible hydration issue . I would start a regular calcium and vitamin supplement for her ,and keep her hydrated. Can your common shoot?you may need to see a vet if things don't improve. She is lucky you found her Good luck . You may also find a rescue center , they may also give you some tips .
Dave

I would disable the crickets,(remove legs) so it can catch them easier or put a cup where you put the food at. I had a female that had tounge issues and she lived a good life, good luck

Hi forum members ..

Around a week and a half ago I rescued a female Common Chameleon who was found opposite my daughters school. She was sitting on a tree with very minimal foliage and the tree is located in an empty plot with little or no trees.

Although it was raining on the days I found her, she still seemed very dehydrated and looked weak and sick. I have seen an improvement already, she has atw and drank and has been pretty active...she always got her food after a few close shots from short distances but today she had to literally take the food off the palm of my hand without shooting her tongue as the feeder was not sticking to her tongue..

I have her gut loaded feeders with calcium and multi v one occasion ..any idea? Thinking it's a vitamin deficiency ..her aim is good

The photo where she is dark is on the day I rescued her..will post a more recent where she looks better already

Dehydrated chams have trouble getting prey to stick to the tongue, as the glands on the tip are not producing as much mucus. Possibly there's too much calcium powder on the feeders? It could also be that she's weak and the force of the tongue shot is not normal. Keep on rehydrating her and unless she has other unknown health problems I bet she'll improve.

Dehydrated chams have trouble getting prey to stick to the tongue, as the glands on the tip are not producing as much mucus. Possibly there's too much calcium powder on the feeders? It could also be that she's weak and the force of the tongue shot is not normal. Keep on rehydrating her and unless she has other unknown health problems I bet she'll improve.

but lack of clacium or was it minerals? that can cause this too.

Back
Top Bottom