Reptiworms staple

Pilotman800

I just got reptiworms for my little guy and was wondering if it is okay to have it as a staple. I know you do not need to dust them with supplements, but would there be any negative response to my cham if I did?

Reptiworms are a bit expensive, that's the only negative I can think of. Some chameleons won't eat them because they don't move as much as some would like.

Reptiworms are a bit expensive, that's the only negative I can think of. Some chameleons won't eat them because they don't move as much as some would like.

My little one was just on a hunger strike because he didn't like crickets. He's eaten around 6 or 7 reptiworms from my hand so far. :D

Would it be bad to dust them with calcium? I know its not needed, but to get D3 and the multivitamin in him.

If you live in an area where Black Solider flies are native to you can start a 5 gallon compost bucket with veggies in it and you will have an endless supply of them ...until the cold weather kicks in. That's what I did. Buy as Syn stated some chams don't go after them due to lack of movement.

If you live in an area where Black Solider flies are native to you can start a 5 gallon compost bucket with veggies in it and you will have an endless supply of them ...until the cold weather kicks in. That's what I did. Buy as Syn stated some chams don't go after them due to lack of movement.

Are they native to Miami? :)

I've always wondered if their interesting gut load isn't good for the chameleons.

I've always wondered if their interesting gut load isn't good for the chameleons.

I use just veggies that I would have given to crickets or roaches as gut load and no meat or waste products so I would have to assume that it would be. Pilotman if you are "growing your own" then yes they are gut loaded by what you use to attract the adult flys to lay their eggs in and then the worms eat the veggies. I will PM you a link to check out in regards to them.

Only veggies? Will they eat fruit?

They will eat any thing lol but I would only use what I would typically use to gutload crickets and roaches. Fruits are fine too. I honestly have thousands in my bucket right now so many that the little anoles hang out to get free hand outs as well as toads and frogs.

They will eat any thing lol but I would only use what I would typically use to gutload crickets and roaches. Fruits are fine too. I honestly have thousands in my bucket right now so many that the little anoles hang out to get free hand outs as well as toads and frogs.

Awesome, I will get on this ASAP.

I still am wondering, is it okay to dust the reptiworms with calcium?

Hey man- I read a study about Black Soldier flies, and this particular article stated that Black Soldier flies can actually remain quite active throughout the winter. They generate heat through their feeding process and it was stated that production actually somewhat picks up during cold months. During warm months, if the temperature becomes too warm from the result of too many mouths and body heat, they will self migrate away from the colony. A graph with the article stated that when a piece of styrofoam sheeting was placed over the colony, the ambient air temperature outside of the container was in the 40F range, but the surface temperature in the container was at 90F. I don't know how this will affect their ability tro pupate and breed but I'm anxious to find out.
Are they native to Miami? :)

They are found almost continent wide from what I've read, but they are particularly abundunt in the southeastern U.S.

Yes they are ... I think LOL ... I know they are in Central Fla. I just sent you a PM on how to set up a bucket. I got the idea from jdog here in this forum so I can't take any credit for it.

Thanks for the mention! Black Soldier Flies Forever!!!!!

Only veggies? Will they eat fruit?

They will eat ANYTHING!!!!

I also have a photo album on here of my soldier fly buckets and how I made them. Probably very similar to what you know by now, but maybe worth checking out. I have two five gallon bucket type in my walk in cage. I do sprinkle some of the harvested grubs right in the planters and they emerge as adult flies and my chameleons eat them every day. I started with an order from Josh’s Frogs to get started and now the adults lay eggs and keep it going. It’s very easy to do outdoors.

Album

Back
Top Bottom