Reptisun T5 5.0 - 12" bulb vs. 22" bulb UVB penetration distance/intensity?

dannigrrl

I'm curious if anyone knows if there is a difference between the UVB penetration distance and/or UVB intensity between a Reptisun T5 5.0 - 12 inch bulb vs. a 22 inch bulb. Looking at ZooMed's website, they post a UVI distance chart for the Reptisun T5 5.0 bulb (here) but do not specify anything about differences based on bulb length.

They do specify the 12" bulb has 15 watts and the 22" bulb has 24 watts, but I can't seem to find any information online that mentions if the wattage difference affects UV performance or not. Has anyone here taken solarmeter measurements of the 12" bulb and compared it to the 22" bulb? Please share your thoughts & opinions! :)

I'm curious if anyone knows if there is a difference between the UVB penetration distance and/or UVB intensity between a Reptisun T5 5.0 - 12 inch bulb vs. a 22 inch bulb. Looking at ZooMed's website, they post a UVI distance chart for the Reptisun T5 5.0 bulb (here) but do not specify anything about differences based on bulb length.

They do specify the 12" bulb has 15 watts and the 22" bulb has 24 watts, but I can't seem to find any information online that mentions if the wattage difference affects UV performance or not. Has anyone here taken solarmeter measurements of the 12" bulb and compared it to the 22" bulb? Please share your thoughts & opinions! :)
As far as I know, the UVB output is the same, regardless of how long the bulb is. The higher wattage of the longer bulbs is simply because it’s a longer bulb. The determining factor for which length to get is based upon the width of your enclosure. You want your uvb bulb to span the width, either straight across or corner to corner.

5.0 is the "strength" of the bulb. Wattage depends on length; it takes more electricity to excite the gas molecules in a longer bulb than a shorter one. Performance should be the same.

IMO, UVB is not a place to cut corners on length. Reptisun 5.0 and Arcadia 7% are roughly equivalent, and either will fit into a Shenzen fixture.

The UVB should extend across the full width of the enclosure. So for a min. size enclosure (24 x 24 x 48), a 24" fixture (22" bulb)

Most of the T5 HO fixtures sold today are from the same factory in China.
All made by Shenzen Sunlight Lighting Co. (OEM) and all are virtually identical.

1618240919804.png

• Arcadia Pro T5
  • Biodude T5HO
  • Carolina Custom Cages T5HO
  • Hydrofarm "Jumpstart"
  • Sunblaster T5HO Nanotech
  • Vivarium T5
  • and Others
So shop for price.

Awesome, thanks guys! I have the Sunblaster T5 and love that it happens to include a plant grow light. Feel like I got a bonus there, lol!

Awesome, thanks guys! I have the Sunblaster T5 and love that it happens to include a plant grow light. Feel like I got a bonus there, lol!
Many/most of them come with the plant light bulb by default. We've gotten one with each fixture, but they're all different sizes (24, 36, 48) that we have no use for—we use the much more powerful LED plant lights. 🤷‍♂️

There are allot of variables, like the light reflector, and the density of screen the UV needs to go through.

But here are the UV levels at the different distances --
as a start
if you want to see it all laid out before you with Arcadia bulbs installed in their ProT5 reflectors. 😁

https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/prot5/

As a general rule, screening is going to block / cut down about 28 - 35% of UV and overall light for that matter.

In some cases, one may need to use a 12% ON LARGER cages to get the UV levels needed.... to compensate for screen density and distances to animals basking spot.

A Solarmeter 6.5 is always a good investment, but at about 225.00, they are hard to swing for most folks.

I would see if your local independent Pet Shop or Exotics Veterinarian has a Solarmeter to rent you to check your cage.

Arcadia also makes a real cool "all in one "that has not only a 6% or 12% UVB bulb,
but a heat projector,
basking light
AND POWERFUL plant growing Jungle Dawn LED

all in one. (it is a bit cheaper than buying it all separatly.)

Perfect on a 24 x 24 x 48 or 24 x 30 x 48High cage.....hint hint😉😉

here are the UV specs along with the "heat" specs at different distances :
https://www.arcadiareptile.com/thermalzoopro/

Cheers
Todd

The Daylight bulb that comes in a Sunblaster has no UVB... just checking to make sure you know that. 😉

It should be replaced w/ a 6% Arcadia Bulb, unless you are using TWO of the fixtures... one to add Daylight to bring more light into the enclosre for plants, and then have a fixture with an Arcadia bulb in it.

Arcadia bulbs are (and always have been) made in German and are much higher quality to ANY bulb made in China.

Check to see where the bulb is being made--
this goes for any brand,
because some brands have switched BACK AND FORTH to where their bulbs are sourced to save a few pennies .... at the expense of quality.
Just sayin'
🤯🤯🤯
Cheers.
Todd

Back
Top Bottom