Reptisun LED / UVB combo

Highway61

Chameleon Enthusiast
Now that I've already sunk money in seperate UVB (for cham) and LED (for plants) lamp components, I see this is available. Is anyone here using it?

1553197992747.png

Thanks, I like the idea of the 2 in 1 as it saves space topside of the enclosure so if I had to buy it all over again, I'd go this route. The Reptisun LED hood I have if has really accelerated the growth of my plants, particularly the ficus tree.

Yeah i have it too i just switched the bulb to a arcadia... i think its great it. Works well for plants and solidly lights up the enclosure for viewing.

Attachments

• 20190228_192835.jpg
    20190228_192835.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 238
I've used them on a couple different setups and don't have any real complaints and really like how much it streamlined the top of the cage. I swapped to Arcadia bulbs like others suggested once the ones it came with got old.
20190326_125620.jpg
20190114_205309.jpg

If its good enough for a cham that costs as much as a college kids car, its gotta be good. I need to learn up on these new LEDS that plants love. I know plants LOVE basking bulbs, so its confusing on why they like these low wattage leds.

The Reptisun UVB/LED at $89 is cost effective and saves space top side. I don't have it myself because I stumbled upon it after dropping a lot more on the two Reptisun UVB and LED seperate components.

If its good enough for a cham that costs as much as a college kids car, its gotta be good. I need to learn up on these new LEDS that plants love. I know plants LOVE basking bulbs, so its confusing on why they like these low wattage leds.

Its not necessarily JUST the wattage its the color scale/range, as well... plants do very decent under LEDs but obv better under the proper plant bulbs

Its not necessarily JUST the wattage its the color scale/range, as well... plants do very decent under LEDs but obv better under the proper plant bulbs
It's not wattage, it is, as you mentioned, the color range and temperature. (Not the oh heck that burns temperature but the way the spectrum is measured).

New LED units are fantastic for plant growth when they are designed for that use. Any LED lights will make things look nice to our eyes but if they aren't emitting the light in the correct range, won't help plants.

These days, LED's are the preferred lights on the vast majority of coral reef fish tanks over the older metal halides. They are cheaper to buy, far cheaper to run and don't generate anything like the amount of heat.

Just because it's an LED, doesn't mean it's the RIGHT LED for the job. Not all LED's are the same.

It's not wattage, it is, as you mentioned, the color range and temperature. (Not the oh heck that burns temperature but the way the spectrum is measured).

New LED units are fantastic for plant growth when they are designed for that use. Any LED lights will make things look nice to our eyes but if they aren't emitting the light in the correct range, won't help plants.

These days, LED's are the preferred lights on the vast majority of coral reef fish tanks over the older metal halides. They are cheaper to buy, far cheaper to run and don't generate anything like the amount of heat.

Just because it's an LED, doesn't mean it's the RIGHT LED for the job. Not all LED's are the same.

Lol why you attacking me ( i know your rlly not ) im the one who agrees.. it all depends on the color kelvin scale... i had a planted aquarium and LEDs did wonders for it

The combo light product which is the subject here is not just an LED:

bright light for improved color rendering. 620 nm Red LEDs stimulate live plant growth. 465 nm Blue LED stimulates nighttime lighting "Lunar Effect". 20,000 hour life range!

I was actually just doing some reading on this! According to my research, having the LEDs organized into colored modules (like in the reptisun LED UVB combo) is less effective than using a full spectrum linear bulb designed for plant growth. Something about only certain spots directly under the red/white pairings actually having sufficient PAR levels for plants... :unsure: Let me see if I can find the quote.

I've been running a 14" ReptiSun LED UVB since February, and my plants (2 varieties of pothos, schefflera) are doing well and showing reasonably strong growth. I'm sure it's sufficient for plants that tolerate partial-full shade, though I'm not sure how well it'd to for plants with higher light requirements/heavily planted set ups!

@GoodKarma19 I wonder what bulb vs module they used in their test (like an 18" bulb vs 1 or 2 or however many modules)? I don't know if I totally disagree that a linear plant bulb could be better than the color module type LED's that these come with but from my experience I don't think it's a big enough concern with the size of fixtures and cages that we typically use to make a difference. I had a 36" quad T5 fixture from LYR with 1 UVB bulb, 1 plant bulb, and 2 6500k bulbs before I switched to the UVB LED fixture and I think the light output was comparable and the pothos and scheflera grow just as good if not better under them.

Another thing that's nice about them is how much less electricity they use. Probably not a concern for a lot of keepers but if you have several chams going from 156 watts (for a 36" quad fixture) to 63 watts (for a 36" LED UVB fixture) for 12+ hours a day could make a big difference on the electric bill.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom