reptileuv

FOREVER ENDEAVOR

http://reptileuv.com

my vet recommended i use these lights rather than the standard reptisun5.0/10.0.. the mega -ray bulb produces uvb/uva as well as sufficient heat..have any of you guys ever used these bulb with your chameleons? opinions please
thanks
Ray

Never with my cham, but I used them with great success with my iguanas for many years. They are extremely strong, but the company is very good about assisting owners in setting up. I sent them my cage dimensions and basking shelf position, and they told me exactly how high to mount the lights above my cage.

No idea about how chams would fare with them however??

yeah..i read through the site and noticed nothing said about using them with chamemelons..it would be nice to have everything taken care with one bulb. Ive had plenty of success with the reptisun 5.0/10.0 and zoomed 75watt basking spot lamps combo..As far as ive seen in the last 3-4 years ive been in the hobby, thats seems to be the standard for most breeders/hobbyists. Thats why i wanted to ask some of the members what they thought..I finally found a good herp vet,..shes just not very familiar with chameleons..i plan to change that..:)

Last edited:
i heard those are good lights. you might be able to make one work with the right setup. you would just have to read the charts and see the UV output and heat generated and if you want a spot or floodlight. they have a huge website here http://www.uvguide.co.uk/ with lots of information you should read if you want to use one of these lights, its pretty interesting.

i think some of these lights produce lots UV even up to 6 feet away but at that distance you would need a heat source anyways. another thing is these lights are $$$ enough to need a UV meter so you know if they are still producing UV. the extreme UV these lights produce isn't really necessary with chams.

I have a MV bulb on my bearded dragon its made by trex and it works great, perfect amount of heat and UV he sits under it all day. it is a 160w and produces about 100 uw/cm2 and 108 degrees at 12", if i replaced the screen top i could get a lot more usable UV and probably higher temps. if i remember right the guy from reptileuv designed some of the newer lights sold by trex.

its probably more cost effective and easier to maintain just to have a tube UV and regular heat light. get some cheap tubes from LLL, write the date on the tube with a marker and replace every 6 months.

i thought this was interesting..i found it in the reflectors and uvb tubes section in the link Chris mentioned above..

"Care must be taken when using powerful combonations of tubes and reflectors. For example, whereas the single Zoomed Reptisun 5.0 24" tube emitted 18uW/cm2 at 12", when 2 identical tubes were fitted with reflectors and placed side by side the reading at 12" was 65uW/cm2." ....

It also goes on to talk about some very interesting facts about the mv mega-ray spots and floods as well..After reading it all i think im gunna stick to the 5.0 in my smaller set ups, and the 10.0 in my 24x24x48's...

some other questions i have for all the keepers/breeders out there is

how many of you use reflectors with the reptisun 5.0? in what size cage/set up?

Do any of you use reflectors with the 10.0 bulb?in what size cage/set up?

and to all the above questions,with how many years of success?

i like to us the 8.0 or 10.0 just because the screening on my cages can block up to 35- 50% of the UV. After about 8 - 10" the output really drops if it going through screening and the plants i have in there help to block it as well.

8.0 huh..:confused: i didnt know they made one..i'll have to look for it.

I use the 10.0 on my 2x2x4's, and the 5.0 on my 18x18x36's..i have reflectors on all of my bulbs...

Back
Top Bottom