Reptiles recognize people?

Mel

I do think our 2 iguanas recognize us as providers of food. When we are near their cage they sometimes get active as though "feed me!" I have had them anxiously alerted to a veggie bag mix we use. They are appx. 4 ft. I had them out in the yard one day and they came running to me when they saw me with the bag in my hand. I found this scientific study online that indicates they can recognize specific caretakers.:confused:

Lizards Do Really Learn To Recognize PeopleClaire Bowles, New Scientist, June 30, 1999
Despite their cold-blooded demeanor, lizards can form personal relationships with people. A team of scientists has shown that iguanas recognize their human handlers and greet them differently, compared with strangers. Scott McRobert and his colleagues at Saint Joseph's University in Philadelphia had often joked that their lab's pet iguana "Fido" would bob his head when McRobert approached but ignore everyone else. They decided to design an experiment to find out if Fido really did know his handler. They also wanted to see if the twelve-year-old lizard remembered a lab student who had cared for him four years earlier. McRobert, the student and around forty strangers took turns reading the Dr Seuss children's book Oh, the Places You'll Go! to Fido. They read it aloud or silently, in front of Fido's cage or behind a screen, while another researcher counted the iguana's head bobs. When Fido could see the readers but not hear them, he bobbed his head roughly equally to both the student and McRobert, but almost totally ignored the strangers. When they read aloud, however, Fido bobbed his head around three times as often to McRobert than to the student. "Visual cues alone are enough for him to recognize individuals," says McRobert, but he suspects that Fido "fine-tunes" his response with audio cues. "I'm pretty sure that this is the first time human recognition by a lizard has been demonstrated in a scientific way," says McRobert, who described the study this week at a meeting of the Animal Behavior Society in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania. He suspects Fido singles him out because iguanas are not normally handled and see handlers as a threat: "It's not that he loves me," McRobert says. He plans to use recorded voices to see what Fido will do when visual and audio cues don't match up. "We may actually learn something about how these animals recognize individuals."

i know that when i have a red cup that i put the crickets in he runs to the place where i put the cup.

Of course they recognize people as they also recognize individuals
from their own as well as, other species.
They're not "as dumb" as some people think

They don't have any mammalian way to express it.

My guy dosen't seem to be afraid or shy around me at all, unless i try to grab him that is. But I live alone and if anyone comes to visit my cham hides like a little wussy. So I surely do believe he recognizes me personally and can also tell the difference between me and other people. Also he will never hand feed if there is anyone else around, which has made me look pretty stupid a few times already.

My guy dosen't seem to be afraid or shy around me at all, unless i try to grab him that is. But I live alone and if anyone comes to visit my cham hides like a little wussy. So I surely do believe he recognizes me personally and can also tell the difference between me and other people. Also he will never hand feed if there is anyone else around, which has made me look pretty stupid a few times already.

lol..
my cham do the same.. except for the hand feed.
He just won't take it at all.. and most of the time, the crickets jumps out of my hand and escaped.
I stopped hand feeding eversince there are 4 crickets running amok in my bedroom.
In fact i got 2 loose convicts hopping around right now.
Wait till they come out!!!

Apparently lots of reptiles can recognize people...so can insects like bees and hissing cockroaches. Here are just a few sites that comment on it...

Legless lizards recognize people..
http://www.digimorph.org/specimens/Ophisaurus_apodus/

Komodo dragons...
"At Frankfurt, the dragon knew the veterinarian after the second treatment and could no longer be persuaded to leave its hiding place as soon as the vet appeared."
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cach...gnize+their+keeper"&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=10&gl=ca

Alligators...
'Gators seem to recognize their keeper. They respond differently to
different people, and they push the limits with all humans, even their
keeper."
http://www.funqa.com/environment-ecology/2102-Environment-Ecology.html

Oh definitely.

I'm pretty sure Crick recognizes me and the Boy, because he comes over to stare at us whenever we're doing something near his cage.

When someone new is over, he will look at them from behind leaves or backwards or something, but he doesn't show much interest.

I could just be perceiving it wrong.

My roommate's iguana (a full grown ~7ft male) is definitively able to recognize individual people on sight. He absolutely despises my roomate, and becomes extremely aggressive and performs dominance displays or attacks, any time my roomate is visible to him without a barrier (like the glass of his cage) between them. The iggy is calm and friendly towards me, however, I can pet him, pick him up, etc...

Callie recognizes me. She freezes if there is an audience. I guess she know what to expect from me and that she is safe. :eek:

My chams are only a few months old. when i come home they come out of there hiding spots. It might be cause they know there about to get fed and go to the spot where i place there feeding cup.
Also my Iguana follows me.

Back
Top Bottom