Reptile shows

Ramrod

Chameleon Enthusiast
I have never attended a reptile show like the one coming up at the concourse. Can anyone tell me if there is a lot of coverage related to chameleons?
Would there be many vendors offering thier products at discounted pricing or is it inflated because of the venue? Are these type of shows usually really crowed? I ask because my wife is in a wheel chair and you can imagine it's a little tuff getting around in a crowd. Any thoughts on your part would be appreciated.
Thanks

Yes steep discounts from vendors, at least for food. Lots of "niche" products from vendors that generally only sell at shows.

I would consider them very crowded, but generally there is a "flow" of traffic. Its kind of like a very fast cafeteria line, it will take 10min or more to flow 50-100ft.

Generally everything is set up on folding tables that are 29" tall.

The "quality" of reptiles is hit or miss. Sometimes you get a wide variety of breeders, and other times its just wall to wall of fancy snakes/ turtles, and very few lizards.

Thanks for your response. Im not in the market to purchase a cham but would like to see all the stuff. Maybe find something new.

I think they are worth checking out. I probably wouldn't by a chameleon from one though. I've been checking out the local shows that come around because hopefully I'll be in the market for a snake in the near future.

While the show might be something to do for the day I don’t find it to be cheaper. After paying for parking and admission your pretty much around the same price you would pay to buy stuff online. But if your going for the experience then it’s always nice to see the things that are out there. And if you can check out who is hosting it chances are they will have a list of vendors on there site.

Totally depends on the place. I would imagine FL and CA having lots of breeders, whereas there are fewer here in Maryland. I’d get to know the breeders there... there are a few sketchy ones at my local shows.

I like going and looking around anyway. I got some great plants and isopods at the last one i went to!

I have never attended a reptile show like the one coming up at the concourse. Can anyone tell me if there is a lot of coverage related to chameleons?
Would there be many vendors offering thier products at discounted pricing or is it inflated because of the venue? Are these type of shows usually really crowed? I ask because my wife is in a wheel chair and you can imagine it's a little tuff getting around in a crowd. Any thoughts on your part would be appreciated.
Thanks

My experience was okay. Met a ton of people, I bought Koba from a local breeder. But discounts were no where to be found. Everything was either just as expensive or more so. The reptiles are also not in good moods generally, but its probably the best chance ive had to look at locales and morphs. Chameleons seem to be one of the least if not the least abundant species.

I would be EXTREMELY cautious about purchasing any reptile from reptile expos. I bought my girlfriend a 150$ crestie that died 5 days later due to parasites ( according to my girlfriends reptile vet )

Some breeders/businesses sell wild caught reptiles and don’t tell the customer. Nor would i imagine that they know every detail they should. End of the day it’s your money your commitment and your decision.
Purchase with caution ( as always )

I would be EXTREMELY cautious about purchasing any reptile from reptile expos. I bought my girlfriend a 150$ crestie that died 5 days later due to parasites ( according to my girlfriends reptile vet )

Some breeders/businesses sell wild caught reptiles and don’t tell the customer. Nor would i imagine that they know every detail they should. End of the day it’s your money your commitment and your decision.

This.

I still don't understand people who pay that much for a Crestie. I know it's dependent on morph. And I've seen tikis geckos post some at Leachie prices but GOD dang if I pay more than $50 for a crested gecko lol

Yeah, my dumb ass spent $150 on a versicolor tarantula which died within a month. I think it really depends on the show and the vendors at the show. Usually they will post a list of vendors prior to the show, I would suggest doing some research on the vendors which you may be interested in purchasing from. I didnt get my cham from a show, but I did find the breeder I ultimately ended up getting him from at a show and although I love my Pestiboi I do wish I had gotten from a more reputable breeder rather than one i had found at a show.

The presence of chams there will entirely depend on your location. I am in CO and that breeder was the first time i had ever seen a panther at a show. This was in like Oct '18 and I had been to 4 or 5 shows prior and I've been to 1 since and that still stands. As you can imagine, theres not a lot of places in CO breeding chams lol

Not all vendors are bad at the shows. I've sold chameleons at the NRBC in Tinley Park last October and people were complimenting me how good my Panthers look.
I don't think all shows and vendors are bad, but as previously stated, you have to be careful. I actually like to go to them. I'm able to see many animals and see if they are active and healthy.

Yeah, my dumb ass spent $150 on a versicolor tarantula which died within a month. I think it really depends on the show and the vendors at the show. Usually they will post a list of vendors prior to the show, I would suggest doing some research on the vendors which you may be interested in purchasing from. I didnt get my cham from a show, but I did find the breeder I ultimately ended up getting him from at a show and although I love my Pestiboi I do wish I had gotten from a more reputable breeder rather than one i had found at a show.

The presence of chams there will entirely depend on your location. I am in CO and that breeder was the first time i had ever seen a panther at a show. This was in like Oct '18 and I had been to 4 or 5 shows prior and I've been to 1 since and that still stands. As you can imagine, theres not a lot of places in CO breeding chams lol

Was it a sling?

That's insane. 150USD? Total ripoff. There are no reptile shows here locally but from what I have seen or heard, many vendors are out to make a killing.
I'm sorry let me amend what I said, I paid $100 but it was marked at 150. It was missing a leg which is why the guy gave me a discount. I should have know tbh but my bf really wanted a T lol. It was from FuzzyLegs which seemed like a pretty big breeder but what do I know apparently

They are a look but don’t buy type of experience. Everything in there is stressed to the max. I was never against these shows until I attended one.
1D5AE09C-4D69-42A1-959F-E2FB5DD762EE.jpeg

I'm sorry let me amend what I said, I paid $100 but it was marked at 150. It was missing a leg which is why the guy gave me a discount. I should have know tbh but my bf really wanted a T lol. It was from FuzzyLegs which seemed like a pretty big breeder but what do I know apparently

$100 is still too much, and it's missing a leg. Yes it will grow back and not for $100.

Back
Top Bottom