Reptile Show?

I've always been one for reptiles and amphibians, as I'm still preparing to get my first Chameleon, but a lady I've known my whole life told me about an upcoming Reptile Show in Slidell, Louisiana. She's got three snakes and a beardie, and she always takes her daughter to events like this. I was wondering if going to one of these Reptile Shows is actually worth it? If anything it could be a cool learning experience. We only live about two hours away and I think it would be really cool but I'm just not sure. Has anyone ever been to a Reptile Show?

They can be awesome, sometimes they always have the same vendors from shops around the same town and then it sucks since it's nothing you haven't seen before. Check the vendor list to see. Also be careful with non breeders since their reptiles will be wild caught, you want captive bred. If they cant answer questions like age, good staple feeders that we suggest here, have multiple in same enclosure, dont know if male/female...etc... Then walk away.

They can be awesome, sometimes they always have the same vendors from shops around the same town and then it sucks since it's nothing you haven't seen before. Check the vendor list to see. Also be careful with non breeders since their reptiles will be wild caught, you want captive bred. If they cant answer questions like age, good staple feeders that we suggest here, have multiple in same enclosure, dont know if male/female...etc... Then walk away.

Ok thank you! I've really been trying to convince my parents, my dad loves reptiles and had a Red Tailed Boa when he was younger but my mom is terrified of most reptiles. I told my mom this could be our Halloween because it will be scary for her and she said she'd think about it?.

Just convince your dad, no need to have both go! Its easier to get one to buy then them have to "talk about it" while there. This coming from a dad of 4 boys, just giving you a good tip.

Also make sure you have done your research if your dad sees you know a lot he will be more willing to buy you a new friend! Also if you keep your room clean, do your chores and help out at the house without them asking that shows responsibility which helps their decision.

Just convince your dad, no need to have both go! Its easier to get one to buy then them have to "talk about it" while there. This coming from a dad of 4 boys, just giving you a good tip.
Well, I have done all of that, I do my chores anyway or I'm grounded, and my parents are making me save up all of the money myself. But my father isn't really a "spend time with his kid" kind of man. He'd rather sit at home with our cat so, I'll try to convince him but I doubt he'll take me by himself.

Has anyone ever been to a Reptile Show?
Several. It's one of the ways I vet vendors & breeders. There are pros & cons about shows, and going to such an event is a good way to learn about both.

I think everyone in the hobby should attend at least one decent-sized (100+ vendors) reptile show, but not until the pandemic is over (everyone been vaccinated).
TMK, all of the shows withing 100 miles of me are on hold, and I'd still rather be safe than sorry.

Be safe.

Back
Top Bottom