Reptile Rescue in PA?

celinann

I am going to be moving to MO at the end of the summer and so far, the apartments I've looked at do not allow reptiles. I'm afraid I might have to leave my veiled behind, but do not have family or friends that would want a chameleon. I refuse to give him to someone I'm not positive has experience with chameleons. Does anyone know any reptile rescues in eastern PA or within a few hours away from Philadelphia? I'm really hoping it doesn't come to this but I want to be prepared in case it does.

If you post him for sale on the classifieds, he will go quickly. As long as your price is reasonable. And most of the people on this forum have prior exp. Hope it doesnt come to that......

do they say they do not allow reptiles on the contracts or do they just say no pets allowed? i have lived in a few apartments where it just said no pets allowed but i talked to them about my snakes and chameleon and they said they were fine as long as i had locking cages. The no pets thing usually is only for furry animals that can pee and poop and destroy carpet and stuff like that. Have you talked to them about having your chameleon with you and that it has no possibility to ruin the apartment?

If at all possible try to find him a good home with someone here on the forums.

Rescues are kind of a two edged sword. On the one hand they provide a sometimes necessary service, on the other, when you give an animal up to a rescue, they can add another to the number of "irresponsible reptile owners" who had to give up their pet because they couldn't care for it. That kind of statistic is used by anti-pet lobbyiests in general to promote the idea that most people shouldn't keep reptiles or other animals. I'll bet any number of responsible and experienced forum members would be happy to take him off your hands for the price of shipping...

do they say they do not allow reptiles on the contracts or do they just say no pets allowed? i have lived in a few apartments where it just said no pets allowed but i talked to them about my snakes and chameleon and they said they were fine as long as i had locking cages. The no pets thing usually is only for furry animals that can pee and poop and destroy carpet and stuff like that. Have you talked to them about having your chameleon with you and that it has no possibility to ruin the apartment?

Yes, unfortunately they DO allow cats and dogs, but specifically no reptiles. It's really strange, but I plan on bringing it up with the owners of the property management groups. There really isn't a reason I can think of that they'd be opposed to a chameleon except for maybe cricket escapes, but I don't necessarily need to mention the crickets :p

I wouldnt mention the feeders at all. And tell him chams are not venomous. They dont make any noise. Just build him up. On how the cham will cause no problems like a dog and cat could. I would play that card with them. And he is NOT a snake. Sometimes when you say "Reptile" people think Snake.

Laurie, I'm headed to Kansas City. Google maps tells me its about 3 hours from Springfield. Thank you for the offer. I'll let you know if I need to take you up on it!

I may be able to take him off your hands, if you need someone to take him (or buy at a good price). I also live in eastern PA (about 30 miles NE of Hamburg, about 90 miles from Philly).

Mike

Back
Top Bottom