Reptile Egg Incubation Trays Better or Not??

There most be some information on them out there somewhere. I'd there a retailer/manufacturer name associated with them? I plan to breed, in the future, so I'm interested in learning.

Reptilesupplyco, reptilebasics, LLL and pangea all sell them either under their house brand or thg. For me it's the saltwater variant of incubating that I'm most interested in but I'm glad I just saved money not buying the trays thanks to @ponders lol.

I've actually tried this on three separate clutches of eggs (Panther) from different pairings.

Half clutch in my regular set up (moist vermiculite in plastic container with ONE pin sized hole for vent) and the other half in this egg container you are referring to, also with ONE pin sized hole for vent (filled with water and crystals/gel). All containers went into same incubator.

Results: 100% hatch rate on both. ALL eggs in vermiculite hatched (same clutch) before the ones on these egg containers (I have some theory on that...another thread). It works.

Thoughts: Remember, you are not going to be around when the little ones break free of their egg and start to crawl around and discover their new world.....they will roll other eggs and or displace them that could lead to death of other chameleons yet to hatch. If you want to use this set up, create a barrier so that the new hatchling does not go about disturbing other eggs. To use this for chameleon eggs is not an ideal use of space and the risk is too great of disturbing unhatched eggs too great of risk to warrant use. I do have it on stand-by in the event that I run out of my regular containers.

I've actually tried this on three separate clutches of eggs (Panther) from different pairings.

Half clutch in my regular set up (moist vermiculite in plastic container with ONE pin sized hole for vent) and the other half in this egg container you are referring to, also with ONE pin sized hole for vent (filled with water and crystals/gel). All containers went into same incubator.

Results: 100% hatch rate on both. ALL eggs in vermiculite hatched (same clutch) before the ones on these egg containers (I have some theory on that...another thread). It works.

Thoughts: Remember, you are not going to be around when the little ones break free of their egg and start to crawl around and discover their new world.....they will roll other eggs and or displace them that could lead to death of other chameleons yet to hatch. If you want to use this set up, create a barrier so that the new hatchling does not go about disturbing other eggs. To use this for chameleon eggs is not an ideal use of space and the risk is too great of disturbing unhatched eggs too great of risk to warrant use. I do have it on stand-by in the event that I run out of my regular containers.
Thank you for your very thorough input!

Using salt water is a great idea as the humidity created is also sterile and free from mold due to the salt in the water. I am not referring to table salt use pure sea salt.

I've hatched out all kind of reptiles directly in vermiculite and with suspended incubation. Both will nearly always work unless you have some species that is known to have very specific incubation requirements or infertile eggs in which case nothing can work. I have used those before two different sizes and I've used this one which comes ready to use without needing additional cups and lids. I have several banded gecko eggs hatching in it now

I've hatched out all kind of reptiles directly in vermiculite and with suspended incubation. Both will nearly always work unless you have some species that is known to have very specific incubation requirements or infertile eggs in which case nothing can work. I have used those before two different sizes and I've used this one which comes ready to use without needing additional cups and lids. I have several banded gecko eggs hatching in it now
How did you like the one you linked to?

I used them for at least a year they worked really good with a 1/2 in of plan water in the bottom. I only stopped using them because I can fit more eggs in a cup with hatchrite then with the trays and I was running out off room in the Incubator.

Back
Top Bottom