Reptile Egg Incubation Trays Better or Not??

JacksJill

Website Manager
Staff member
Has anyone used and had reasonable success with egg incubation trays? Did you do a side by side comparison of the same clutch vs. conventional methods? What was your success rate?
What do you think of using salt in the water? What media do you use? Vermiculite, water crystals, Hatchrite?
Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 9.24.38 AM.png

Last edited:
Has anyone used and had reasonable success with egg incubation trays? Did you do a side by side comparison of the same clutch vs. conventional methods? What was your success rate?
What do you think of using salt in the water? What media do you use? Vermiculite, water crystals, Hatchrite?
View attachment 208062
the crystals are no good. i have never incubated eggs but i can tell you that they are super hydroscopic taking in all moisture. those containers work with leopard gecko clutches but i dont see why you cant use them. you just gotta buy a couple. for medium use hatchrite or straight vermiculite. ive seen setups filled with water on the base and a rack set up for the eggs out of egg crate light diffuser. here it is being used for ball pythons https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...oQxa8BCCkwAg&usg=AOvVaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov

I've seen several people in FB groups using them and there are a couple old threads on them here. I haven't seen any comments on here for a couple years. Wondering if they fell out of favor for a reason or were just forgotten.

I've seen several people in FB groups using them and there are a couple old threads on them here. I haven't seen any comments on here for a couple years. Wondering if they fell out of favor for a reason or were just forgotten.
they make sure hatchlings dont turn the eggs. pretty efficient. i think people just stopped using them for no reason.

Oh no, they are still used lol. I'm actually thinking of getting some myself instead of doing traditional.

I'm not sure yet tbh, I tried to talk to @Matt Vanilla Gorilla about it a little when I first saw Greg Meehan bring up his salt water only clutch hatching. Matt feels like the salt water would be beneficial though so I'm thinking of trying it with the clutches I'm expecting in the next month or two.

I know Linda Nichelson just put a second retained clutch of 46 in them. She did 32 on hatchrite under the trays and 14 on just salt water I believe. She also has some nosy be eggs on just salt water since March.

Last edited:
@JacksJill check your pm please.

I know it has to do with helping keep the eggs from molding and the Greg seemed to have good success with that process.

Last edited:
I haven't used them in a few years after having low hatch rates with pipping but trouble getting out of the eggs. I did use water crystals, so maybe it's correct that the crystals absorb all the moisture. idk.

I do use the racks whenever I dig up a clutch to count them and rinse them off, but then put them into vermiculite.

I haven't used them in a few years after having low hatch rates with pipping but trouble getting out of the eggs. I did use water crystals, so maybe it's correct that the crystals absorb all the moisture. idk.

I do use the racks whenever I dig up a clutch to count them and rinse them off, but then put them into vermiculite.

Interesting, thanks for sharing that. Maybe I will skip trying them then.

There most be some information on them out there somewhere. I'd there a retailer/manufacturer name associated with them? I plan to breed, in the future, so I'm interested in learning.

Back
Top Bottom