Repti-sun 5.0,10.0 vs. Repti-glo 5.0 vs. super metal halide

Fate X

I would like to know which of these lights is the best for chameleons.reptisun 5.0,reptiglo 5.0 or a super metal halide.
I currently have two chameleons onder dual repti-sun 5.0 and the other 2 under a single repti-sun 5.0 does anyone use glubionate calcium syrup(neo-calglucon) i seen this stuff mentioned somewhere for chameleons. whats it for besides replenishing calcium , whats it do?

Only use th ecalcium syrup for a problem - a chameleon with calcium problems could use it. It's not designed to be a regular dietary supplement - it can mess with their digestive system, so use it for emergencies only.

The 10.0's put out more UVB, and about 20" away from the bulb, vs. about 12" for the 5.0's. If you have a tall cage, with a screen top, go with a 10.0 and a regular floruscent tube for light. If you've got small animals, or a smaller cage (under 3' tall), go with a 5.0.

Fate X said:
does anyone use glubionate calcium syrup(neo-calglucon) i seen this stuff mentioned somewhere for chameleons. whats it for besides replenishing calcium , whats it do?

ONLY use this under the advice of a vet after calcium levels have been checked. As Eric said it is only for problems. It is highly concentrated and can send their calcium levels way out of whack, whihc will then cause other trouble. If you have a female it is not bad to have on hand in case she needs additional calcium before or after laying a clutch. I would purchase only from a vet. There is one good online source (IMO), but getting it from a vet you will be advised on how much to give as it is based on weight. I speak from experience of a cham with ongoing calcium imbalance :(

lele

lele said:
I speak from experience of a cham with ongoing calcium imbalance :(

Hi Lele,

Out of curiousity... what were the symptoms of the imbalance, and what do you think caused it?

Heika

Hi Heika - My poor Luna was an unbred female who devloped clutches every 3 months. She would go for long periods of little to no food while developing eggs and she pulled a lot of the calcium from her bones, which ended up causing MBD in what SHOULD have been a healthy chameleon. B/c she would not eat, it was difficult to get Ca into her. It was not until after her second clutch that we realized what was going on and monitored her Ca blood levels with prescribed NCg - (fortunately I have access to a good ARAV vet). Her last (or second to last) clutch we got her levels in balance and then he gave her an injection of calcitonin to replenish the Ca in her bones (as opposed to just blood levels).

I'll tell you, it was a long and difficult learning expereince for me - and her - and since so many people breed, it was hard to find info (experienced) on unbred females. Ironically, after her clutch in May 2005 I decided to find a male, mate her, discard eggs (or give them to the male's keeper) just to see if it would get her hormones in balance. She died in July so I never had the chance. During necropsy, Dr. G saw egg follicles once again...:(

Yes...

that did come up. The animals would have to be in peak condition and with Luna there were some pretty small windows of opp! There have been successful, and unsuccessful, c-sections for eggbound females.

When I asked my vet about spaying he said he would not do it but send her to a seasoned vet in MA (I'm in NH), but, like ANY surgery there are always risks. So in answer to your question - yes. As to frequency or success - I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom