Please help with MBD

Epazarena

Veiled/female/possibly 1 yr roughly 7" long
Held daily she's very tame
Gut loaded crickets 5-7 daily with occasional super worms
Repashy calcium plus dusted bi-weekly
Fecal started out healthy brown with white and yellow, now brown if she goes at all
Glass screen combo 24x18x18
Single t5 uvb multi spectrum, dual bulb red heat basking bulb & repti-glo 5.0 compact fluorescent
Daytime temp of 80' basking 90' nighttime 75'-80'
30-40% humidity gained by misting ,zoo med dual temp humidity gauge
No live plants
Tank is in living room near large picture window.
Nebraska
OK after all that I purchased my Cham from petco on Dec 26th she appeared fat and healthy. Not even a week later her limbs began showing signs of mbd. I thought I could tackle it with the Repashy as she was eating like a pig. She has since gone downhill just stumbling around the cage, she still has a firm grip with hands and tail but cannot climb. Took her to the vet and they started her on Calcionate syrup. We had been able to hand feed/water her until now. She can't seem to keep her tongue in her mouth, she will not fully close her mouth and if she gets excited it will all just fall out and she has a hard time getting it back in. I've ordered some calcium glubionate from beautiful dragons reptile rescue to start giving her. I need any advice on what else I can be doing as we are very attached to her. With all that's going on with her she is still very "aware" constantly watching us and just hanging out cause she can't move well. As I said before the tongue issue we were hand feeding her so she hasn't lost much weight I just need to know what to do from here.

Attachments

• 20170116_213826.jpg
    20170116_213826.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 20170116_212844.jpg
    20170116_212844.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 110
That is a typical measure for a vet to prescribe. I'm sorry, I missed that earlier. MBD does not manifest itself in this level of severity from December 26th until now. My suggestion is that you get a letter from your vet stating her advanced condition, take it to the place of purchase and argue for some sort of refund.
Something is amiss in the timeline and if she is progressing, even with following the vet protocol, you need to visit the vet again and possibly a more experienced vet. I would NOT administer any liquid calcium that does not come from the vet. The versions you can purchase online are not the same and can be very dangerous. She is in really poor shape. I'm not saying she can't be helped, but she will always show signs of the having had MBD and will be a long road to see her return to functioning as healthy chameleon, if she's not too far gone.

You've taken her to the vet, that's good. What did they say was going on and the reason for the meds they gave? I would suggest a second opinion.

I have a question and a few thoughts....
Do you turn off all lights at night? Petco does not and I know they suggest a heat lamp at night. She needs the dark to sleep and be able to regulate hormones. Over time of not having a good day/night schedule will cause illness. Also ta temp drop at night is benificial for their digestion. The red light is not optimal, a bright White House bulb is better for basking. Think of the sun...they bask in the bright sun, nothing in nature puts off the red glow.

How often are you misting her? With what is going on you need to do it more often than normal to keep her hydrated.

Rapashy Calcium Plus should be used daily. It's an all in one, and They need the Calcium daily.

If you are getting a liquid Calcium, use that alone and not added to the Calcium Plus. But, I would not just get the liquid Calcium from anywhere, it needs to come from a vet so that you know it is mixed right.

You have not had her long enough for this to have come on that fast in your care. There are some things that need adjusting but MBD takes months, especially as advanced as this is.

Back
Top Bottom