Reptariums?!?! Opinions needed!!

Magnus2502

Looking to find a permanent enclosure for my veiled.. She is getting old enough to move to a permanent home.. I've been looking for for something with lots of space, would love to build my own but honestly don't have to time... So was looking and was curious if anybody out there has used any size of the Apogee reptariums. Was looking at the 260 gallon but getting mixed reviews... Also was curious about a Zoomed iguanarium, but it may too new for any opinions yet but thought I'd check.. Anyways any advice would be greatly apriciated.... Thanx in advance

Reptariums do have their uses and some of us use them for long term housing. The issues you may run into include...

Cranky zippers: zipping and unzipping multiple times a day will eventually wear them out or create fabric snags and missing teeth. Treat them gently.

Feeders chewing holes in the mesh: some people find that loose feeders (crix and Zophobas) chew holes in the mesh. Now your cham isn't going to escape through such holes, but they can be a hassle.

Heavy mesh may filter out some UV: Some claim that the Reptarium's heavier mesh filters out beneficial UV and the visibility isn't too great. I don't know about this really.

Basking bulbs might discolor the mesh on top: I wouldn't put high watt basking lamps too close to the mesh.

Most people find these cages are great for temporary quarters. You could use one for now and eventually decide to build your own cage once you decide what features you'll want. Then use your Reptarium for transport or temporary outside basking.

Not that this is critical for this group, but wildlife rehabbers LOVE Reptariums for bats. The cages are lightweight, very portable, soft on tiny bat toes, and not very expensive.

Thanx for the reply... That's the general consensus I've been getting about them.. The one thing I like is there size... Been hard to find an enclosure with the size I want.. The iguanarium by zoo med has great size and is well built but very costly but worth it if I decide to go that route.. So anyways thanx for your input ill keep looking around for the time being..

Thanx for the reply... That's the general consensus I've been getting about them.. The one thing I like is there size... Been hard to find an enclosure with the size I want.. The iguanarium by zoo med has great size and is well built but very costly but worth it if I decide to go that route.. So anyways thanx for your input ill keep looking around for the time being..

Just so you're aware... there's a review on Petco's website in which someone states that the screening is too large to keep crickets in.

Have you had a look at the xl cage here?
http://www.diycages.com/15201/15243.html

Smaller than the iguanarium but still a nice size.

I had seen those but don't know anything or heard anything about them... Size wise it may work... I house live plants in my enclosure and would like room in my next enclosure to be able to fit more than one and hold a grow light on top along with the other lamps... It may work ill check more into it... Thanx for the advice...

Back
Top Bottom