Repotting growing plants after using rock and pond foam to create a living wall...

MedicMan1

Established Member
Hey guys. I wanted to start a discussion, as I couldn't find a thread that hit on the question I was asking myself.

Here's the rub: I have a dragon strand large clear side atrium on order and have been planning out my setup. I have a MistKing, built a stand, and will be installing an active drain system. I have been reading about using the "Great Stuff Rock and Pond" to create a naturalistic look inside of my massive cage, and understand that it is claimed to be pretty safe. Bill strand uses a lot of it in a blog and covers pots and the dragon ledges in tons of the stuff, and it just looks great. However, I thought of an issue this evening... If some plants inside of the enclosure grow larger, they will eventually need to be repotted. This would be very difficult if the pots are foamed into the background (even if using the pot inside of pot method).

Have any of you used the foam and ran into this situation? I know some plants can tolerate trimming of the roots or being root bound, but not all. Alternatively, I would love to hear, from your experiences, what kind of plants don't tend to need to be repotted when used inside a viv.

I hope this can become an informative conversation! Cheers!

Great stuff is a foam that can be cut easily with a knife, I personally don't use the stuff I use pothos they hang over the pots which hides them, it's very easy to just switch them out.

This is part of the reason I decided not to use the foam stuff. I did think that if I did I could put one empty pot in the foam and then set the second pot with the plant in it. That way they can be removed.

I was thinking about ways to use the foam to make a cool living wall without imbedding pots today, I guess i will have to give it more thought.

@Peachypink, that's exactly what Bill Strand was doing in his blog. I figured I would do the same if I ended up going that route.

@Peachypink and @MedicMan1 that's exactly what I'm doing now with my new Dragonstrand cage. I got a pot of ivy and pothos, and am separating it into small 4" or 6" pots. There are already existing pots that have been great foamed into the cage, and these will slip into them like a sleeve. I bought 2 cages, so the first one is a tester and then we'll learn from our mistakes when we do cage #2. Guess we'll see - I'm going to make a step by step blog when we do the 2nd cage, so by that time I'll know if this works or not - sorry that it might not be in time for you though!

Sorry, don't know what plants won't need repotting eventually. I did the pot in a pot method. You really need to stuff the pots firmly with something to keep the foam from collapsing them. I also built my wall area on a backing so I can take the entire section out if I need to work on it. I then zip tied the wall section to my ledges.
IMG_B4 plants.jpg

Sorry, don't know what plants won't need repotting eventually. I did the pot in a pot method. You really need to stuff the pots firmly with something to keep the foam from collapsing them. I also built my wall area on a backing so I can take the entire section out if I need to work on it. I then zip tied the wall section to my ledges.
View attachment 175488

That's awesome! I'm still going back and forth. I got the last supplies for the MistKing today, I'll be running two single nozzles and one double nozzle because the cage is so huge. I figure I'll put the double and a single on one side in opposing corners and another single on the other side of the cage to create a gradient.

Just waiting on the Dragon Strand to get here. I can't wait to play with my setup. Those Arcadia lights are incredible. Super high quality setup!

442015 017.JPG

I have two pots. One is in the foam, the other holds the plant. This may sound odd, but I just replace the plants if they get too big. Seems to be an annual thing with me. Tear the cage down once a year and reset. No big deal. While I'm tearing down the indoor cage I just toss my blue boss outside ......

View attachment 175489

I have two pots. One is in the foam, the other holds the plant. This may sound odd, but I just replace the plants if they get too big. Seems to be an annual thing with me. Tear the cage down once a year and reset. No big deal. While I'm tearing down the indoor cage I just toss my blue boss outside ......

That is what I am thinking that I will do. I still have a bit to think about it though as my cage hasn't shipped yet. It should be shipping any day.

GORGEOUS Parsonii by the way! I am really jealous. I would love to have one of those bad boys around the house, but I fear I won't for a ling time, if ever. They are very expensive and I hear very hard to take care of. Your thoughts on the latter?

Also, what kind of bromeliads are those that you have in there? I have been trying to figure it out because I think they are beautiful and I want to have a few in my enclosure.

Also, what kind of bromeliads are those that you have in there? I have been trying to figure it out because I think they are beautiful and I want to have a few in my enclosure.

I got no clue. I buy the plants knowing they will suffer a slow death despite having some of the best lighting ever provided by Todd at lightyourreptiles. Actually the plants do very well now with his system. I expect to cut them all down and replant them when April rolls around.
and I hear very hard to take care of. Your thoughts on the latter?

They are not hard to take care of, however they do have needs that must be met. For some meeting those needs is easier than others. Are they delicate? no. Do they need a bitching set up and a ton of food? yes. Water is a biggy with them and when you add in large amounts of water you add in the chance of people screwing up things...like too much water creates mold, or RI's. Knowing that balance and creating a habitat that maintains that balance is something that needs an experienced keeper. I would never say to a beginner they can handle a Parson only because of the skill needed in handling the water requirements. However they are not hard to care for at all if those requirements can be met.

Back
Top Bottom