Repashy calc plus lod for outdoor montane?

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
I like the idea if repashy giving small doses of vit A among other nutrients, but it also contains d3, which montanes can be sensitive to over supplementation and especially if mine is being kept outside full time. Is there a repashy bottle without the d3 included?

True, you don't need the D3 in fact you would be better off without it in this case.
I will have to look but if anyone has it it would be Repashy. You may not even need vitamin A if you aren't giving D3 as they tend to impact each other. I know they have a Vitamin A supplement but I think that is all that it has in it.

They have LoD, which I use since my guys are out a few hours a week, but that's probably still too much since his highness is outside 24/7. Repashy's customer service is pretty good about responding to inquiries, I'd contact them for a recommendation. They have versions without D3, I'm sure of it, but they may be geared towards frogs so I'd ask them just to ensure that the mineral balance is right for a cham, too.

Yes, sunlight is the best source of D3 because once they hit the optimal level they don't make any more until they need more. We know our UVB lights are making most of what they need. The idea of the supplement is to make up the difference. The problem with the supplement is that they can absorb more than they need and there is no safety mechanism like there is when it is made in their skin with sunlight.
Vitamin A is a partial antidote to D3 toxicity which might be why some chameleons seem to need it and others don't. There are probably other factors at play as well.

They have LoD, which I use since my guys are out a few hours a week, but that's probably still too much since his highness is outside 24/7. Repashy's customer service is pretty good about responding to inquiries, I'd contact them for a recommendation. They have versions without D3, I'm sure of it, but they may be geared towards frogs so I'd ask them just to ensure that the mineral balance is right for a cham, too.

That's kind of what I was looking for, like with how dendrocare used to be. I knew of keepers that used it for their chameleons because it was fit for regular dusting without overdoing it.

Yes, sunlight is the best source of D3 because once they hit the optimal level they don't make any more until they need more. We know our UVB lights are making most of what they need. The idea of the supplement is to make up the difference. The problem with the supplement is that they can absorb more than they need and there is no safety mechanism like there is when it is made in their skin with sunlight.
Vitamin A is a partial antidote to D3 toxicity which might be why some chameleons seem to need it and others don't. There are probably other factors at play as well.

My cham lives outside 24/7, so any d3 supplementation would probably be unnecessary and potentially harmful. I like that the all in one supps give light amounts of vitamin A. That way I could just use it every day or every other day in combination with other safe multivitamins like bee pollen. I just don't think giving d3, even in smaller amounts that often for a montane species would be wise.

It would be smarter to use a vitamin supplement without D3 monthly. I just don't see any thing that Repashy makes that has a multi that doesn't have both D3 and A.
They make Vitamin A plus but it is just retinol and beta carotene and lots of it. You could probably just do the vitamin a oil smeared on a bug every 2 months. Vitamin A is stored for longer than D3 up to 6 months.
It's too bad you can't get snails because they might fill the gap you have perfectly. I can't believe that neither Philadelphia nor Pittsburg have one restaurant that serves escargot.

It would be smarter to use a vitamin supplement without D3 monthly. I just don't see any thing that Repashy makes that has a multi that doesn't have both D3 and A.
They make Vitamin A plus but it is just retinol and beta carotene and lots of it. You could probably just do the vitamin a oil smeared on a bug every 2 months. Vitamin A is stored for longer than D3 up to 6 months.
It's too bad you can't get snails because they might fill the gap you have perfectly. I can't believe that neither Philadelphia or Pittsburg have one restaurant that serves escargot.

I do the vitamin A oil on a superworm once a month right now. I like the mix of ingredients repashy calc lod has. Just wish I could get it without the d3 lol. And I do have snails lol

their Calcium Plus has no D3 but it does have Vit A as JacksJill cautioned. Short of that, everything else is just straight calcium.

I do the vitamin A oil on a superworm once a month right now. I like the mix of ingredients repashy calc lod has. Just wish I could get it without the d3 lol. And I do have snails lol

You can always use it over the winter months when he comes inside, if he eats at all during that time frame. I can bring you some when we come up if you'd like. Check out the Calcium Plus and see how close it is to LoD.

their Calcium Plus has no D3 but it does have Vit A as JacksJill cautioned. Short of that, everything else is just straight calcium.
That is a common mistake Calcium plus has D3, more than LoD and less than HyD

I don't know that it would cause a problem. I just prefer to not give anything unnecessary just like you do. Mine get out on weekends and I still use LoD

Calcium plus
Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 10.06.44 AM.png

That is a common mistake Calcium plus has D3, more than LoD and less than HyD

I don't know that it would cause a problem. I just prefer to not give anything unnecessary just like you do. Mine get out on weekends and I still use LoD

DOH! You're right! What the heck, I just read (quickly) through the ingredients, too, before posting that.

You can always use it over the winter months when he comes inside, if he eats at all during that time frame. I can bring you some when we come up if you'd like. Check out the Calcium Plus and see how close it is to LoD.

I appreciate that, unfortunately he doesn't really eat all of winter lol so he only gets his supplements when spring hits. Usually stops around october

Brumation seems like a PIA. I cut back my lighting in the winter by 20-30 minutes just to regulate their hormones for breeding. I don't know if it does anything but they do have a cycle and it's worth a try.

Brumation seems like a PIA. I cut back my lighting in the winter by 20-30 minutes just to regulate their hormones for breeding. I don't know if it does anything but they do have a cycle and it's worth a try.

Brumation comes naturally here lol. Makes my life easier, especially since he's staying in the garage for the winter. I'll just set a heater to 45-50, have a fogger go at night, and some misting during the day and that's my colorful pet rock during the winter.

Back
Top Bottom