reoccurring eye problem

Dan

Hey everyone!
As you might remember from an old post of mine, my panther that is a little over a year old has been keeping his eyes closed pretty often. I have taken him to a vet twice and was told it was a vitamin deficiency and to gut load my feeders with more orange foods such as carrots, oranges and yams. I did that, and saw little to no change. I then asked here on the forum, and got the consensus that it was an infection and to get terramyicin. I did that for about 3-4days, and it seemed to irritate his eye more then help. he would constantly bulge it out and rub it on branches. Because of that I stopped applying the terramyicin.

The reason I am reposting the problem is because it hasnt gotten any better. If anything, possibly a little worse because it seems to be both eyes now instead of one.

Currently, he keeps them closed when he isnt doing much, however he opens them when he needs to, such as when he eats, moves around or drinks. He has been eating and drinking just fine, although lately he seems to be a bit more lethargic. Also, there seems to be a slight edema around his eyes.

I am not sure what exactly I should do next. I am hesitant to take him to the vet again because I am thinking I will be told the same thing I was told the fist two times, and I am just a poor college student haha.

Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I would suggest a different vet....one that's really good with chameleons. Eye problems can be a sign of another more serious condition.

Ya they are linear zoomed bulbs, that were just replaced less than a month ago. The one in my larger cage is a 10.0 and the one in the smaller females cage is a 5.0. However, I am in the process of building them new cages...should be done this sat. I also have regular day time heat bulbs....80watt i believe.

I think a 5.0 is all you need.. Any higher might be too much. Not sure though.

the 10.0 is for a 3ft high cage, however I am about to move them into 4ft high cages. Is a 10.0 still too big?

the 10.0 is for a 3ft high cage, however I am about to move them into 4ft high cages. Is a 10.0 still too big?

What is the cage made out of? If you have a tall cage and its a flexarium or reptarium (the black plastic mesh type of cage) a 10.0 isn't a bad idea.

Check out this link to the UV Guide tests involving UV deterioration through mesh.

hey neighbor... didn't notice you were in S.F as well.. sorry we couldn't find a solution to the eye problem. I really thought the cream would help.

Look around the forum for the Vit. A supplementation. You use pills from CVS and either feed them to your crickets or you can inject feeders with the gel inside the pill.

Maybe search for threads that Toddkeller has started. He was telling me all about this in the cham chat, so maybe he posted in the forum as well.

Already sent him a PM! ;)

Look around the forum for the Vit. A supplementation. You use pills from CVS and either feed them to your crickets or you can inject feeders with the gel inside the pill.

Maybe search for threads that Toddkeller has started. He was telling me all about this in the cham chat, so maybe he posted in the forum as well.

I think your first vet was close ....

In thinking it was a vitamin A deficiency. What he/she was wrong about was thinking that beta-carotene was going to provide your chameleon the vitaminA it needed. While it might work for you and me, it won't work for the chameleon. I will PM you some info. Good luck.

thanks everyone for the advice. I think I am gonna get some vit a supplementation and see how that works out.

I would find other vet..
My Chameleon also had vitamin deficiency and the vet gave me Vitamin A to give her until her eyes were open again..

Back
Top Bottom