Remove or not?

jgiles

As you can see in the picture my Panther has a growth on the side of his nose. I have only had him for 5 months now and he is just getting healthy enough to consider having it removed. When I took him to Dr Greek when I first got him Dr Greek's main concern was getting him healthy. I have no problem taking him back if it is warranted but I don't want to put him through it if it's not needed. It has grown slightly over the 5 months but everything about him has grown since I got him.
It is right behind his nose vent but does not seem to hinder his breathing.
What do you experts think?

Attachments

• walker's nose.jpg
    walker's nose.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 200
what did your vet say it was? if your vet had no clue what it was, i would suggest finding a new vet. if that isnt an option, then i guess you're stuck with one you have. in the mean time, try putting some neo or polysporin on it to see if it disappears or shrinks. my girlfriend's fischer came with two symetrical growths that looked like the one on your panther's nose. she treated it with polysporin and within 2 days they were both gone. if he is getting healthier as he grows, i honestly wouldnt worry about it too too much. try the sporin, it is honestly a miracle in a tube.

keep us updated buddy and good luck

That was exactly what I was going to say Syn. You dont even have to stress him out much just take a few more close ups of his nose and email them to him. He can prob tell right away if it needs to come off.

Good advice on pictures. I will get a few GOOD shots and see if I can email them to Dr Greek.
Thansk guys

Lucky you guys can do that D:
My vet cant even GUESS what something is.
I HAVE to go into the vets office for her to even SPEAK with me.
I guess its illegal here to diagnos or even guess what an animal has without the vet personally looking at them.

Yeah, it's not for any of us here to decide. You need to speak to your vet about it again. I would try to the neosporin like VeiledOwwner87 suggested an if that doesn't help it in a few days, definitely take him to the vet again and get an expert opinion.

Lucky you guys can do that D:
My vet cant even GUESS what something is.
I HAVE to go into the vets office for her to even SPEAK with me.
I guess its illegal here to diagnos or even guess what an animal has without the vet personally looking at them.

that's usually how it is, vets love helping animals, but im sure they love the money more. unless of course a solid foundation is built, then they can go easy at times. i was very fortunate with our vet, he never charged me what i was supposed to at times, and at other times, understood the concept of stress in reptiles, that he would actually have me swing by to pick up the medications, and properly show me how to do injections. this was also an issue of an egg bound veiled, he knew her situation and because a relationship was built genuin and fast, his outlook changed. because of our relationship, he allowed me to get a fecal done on another chameleon without me bringing him in and having an examination done. if treatment was needed, then he would have to charge for an exam and all the components with it. but all vets are different, and all situations are different.

i realy dont think e-mailing pics would be a good regardless though.

vet slam

that's usually how it is, vets love helping animals, but im sure they love the money more. ....

I've got to say, I don't really think that's fair. I know quite a few vets, and none of them get wealthy, especially seeing reptiles and small animals. Most of them have hearts bigger than their wallets. Ease up.

Haven't I read that Dr. Greek is held in high esteem by those who use him here? It sounds like he saw the growth but was, at first, more concerned with overall health.

It might not even be necessary to mail him any pics. He might have a note in his file about what he thinks this is. Call him and ask what the next step is.

that's usually how it is, vets love helping animals, but im sure they love the money more. unless of course a solid foundation is built, then they can go easy at times.

but all vets are different, and all situations are different. .

what did i say? you may have seen a few great vets, but other people may have not. its an occupation that takes many years to achieve, a lot of money to take.. the vets you may have seen may not think chameleons are too expensive for certain things because of their size, let alone other reptiles and snakes. but come a dog or a cat, i bet you thats a different story. i wasnt putting vets down whatsoever, we need them. so i realy dont see a need to ease up,

I've got to say, I don't really think that's fair. I know quite a few vets, and none of them get wealthy, especially seeing reptiles and small animals. Most of them have hearts bigger than their wallets. Ease up.
Agree.

Veterinarians take 8 years of school for a MUCH smaller income of what a human doctor earns with 8 years of school.

As a side note, there seems to be a perception that because we communicate on this forum that we all know more than vets about chameleon care. A bit arrogant IMHO. This comment is not directed at posters in this thread, just a general thought.

Nick:D

considering there are a bunch more small animal vets than herp vets, knowledge is sometimes limited, not saying that there arent a lot of great herp vets... but i also give tons of credit to some of the keepers on these forums who study about reptiles more than vets, who dedicate more to understanding and observing these animals. some doctors are so pridefull that you try and tell them otherwise (from personal experience) that they will pantie up and just change they're whole personality on you. im not against vets at all, like i said, we need them. but just like medical doctors, vets mess up at times too, and us keepers arent perfect. but from generation passed down to generation our knowledge is expanding far more rapidly than vets some times.

Back
Top Bottom