REHOME Panther chameleon Maryland

jrz_23

Member
Good morning, everyone. I’m in the military and recently reenlisted for an assignment to Korea. Unfortunately, I’m not able to bring my chameleon with me, so I’m looking to rehome him with someone who is experienced and knows how to properly care for chameleons. I’d much rather he go to a knowledgeable owner than surrender him to a chain pet store like Petco or PetSmart. I’m located in the Maryland, Baltimore, and Odenton area, so I’m hoping to find someone nearby or willing to drive. He’ll come with everything you need, including his lights, automatic timer, automatic mister, food, and supplements. The only thing you’ll likely need is a new enclosure, as I don’t think the current one would hold up well after being taken apart and reassembled again. If you’re interested and can provide him with a good home, please send me a message. Thank you!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0888.jpeg
    IMG_0888.jpeg
    555.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0887.jpeg
    IMG_0887.jpeg
    380.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7868.jpeg
    IMG_7868.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    504.9 KB · Views: 17
You might also let your local pet supply that offers herp supplies know your beautiful guy is available for adoption or even approach a regional herp club, society, even an exotics vet. Members may know of someone somewhat knowledgeable.
 
I don’t mean for this to cause a problem. I don’t even know if I’d be able to take this guy if the owner was going to trust me with him, BUT it’s kind of goofy when there are these threads to rehome a chameleon, especially one as expensive as a panther, and then these ‘new members’ come out of the woodwork offering to take them.

I’d suggest to anyone rehoming a chameleon, at least trust someone that has posted here for a little bit of time and have shown some sort of activity indicating they are here for more than just a free animal.
 
I don’t mean for this to cause a problem. I don’t even know if I’d be able to take this guy if the owner was going to trust me with him, BUT it’s kind of goofy when there are these threads to rehome a chameleon, especially one as expensive as a panther, and then these ‘new members’ come out of the woodwork offering to take them.

I’d suggest to anyone rehoming a chameleon, at least trust someone that has posted here for a little bit of time and have shown some sort of activity would indicate they are here for more than just a free animal.
I’m assuming this chameleon has already been rehomed but I recommend anyone have a proper vetting process for any animal rehome, especially one as advanced as a chameleon. There’s not a surplus of breeders/rescue in this immediate area so it’s not surprising that this post has attracted more people to actually sign up for the forum. That being said just because someone is new to a forum doesn’t mean they don’t have reptile or chameleon experience, or lack of knowledge to the cost of proper husbandry .
 
I’m assuming this chameleon has already been rehomed but I recommend anyone have a proper vetting process for any animal rehome, especially one as advanced as a chameleon. There’s not a surplus of breeders/rescue in this immediate area so it’s not surprising that this post has attracted more people to actually sign up for the forum. That being said just because someone is new to a forum doesn’t mean they don’t have reptile or chameleon experience, or lack of knowledge to the cost of proper husbandry .
I agree that just because it says New Member it does not mean new to the hobby... But when you have been a member here for a long time you see people make an account to get a chameleon and not all have the knowledge or good intentions. @jamest0o0 has been a member of the forum since 2008. I have been a member since 2018. We have both seen some disturbing stuff over the years. Makes us a bit more cautious about situations like this.

The original poster has not logged in since July 11th so I am betting they rehomed him already.
 
I agree that just because it says New Member it does not mean new to the hobby... But when you have been a member here for a long time you see people make an account to get a chameleon and not all have the knowledge or good intentions. @jamest0o0 has been a member of the forum since 2008. I have been a member since 2018. We have both seen some disturbing stuff over the years. Makes us a bit more cautious about situations like this.

The original poster has not logged in since July 11th so I am betting they rehomed him already.
I work in dog rescue as well so I see this very often. Caution is always warranted, and I do hope that anyone on these forums or elsewhere does their due diligence even when in a hurry to rehome.
 
I work in dog rescue as well so I see this very often. Caution is always warranted, and I do hope that anyone on these forums or elsewhere does their due diligence even when in a hurry to rehome.
Yeah that is one area that I do not think I could work in. People can be horrible and it would break my heart. I agree with you completely. Nice chatting with you. Welcome to the forum. :)
 
Yeah that is one area that I do not think I could work in. People can be horrible and it would break my heart. I agree with you completely. Nice chatting with you. Welcome to the forum. :)
People can definitely be horrible , it’s always an uphill battle . But the wins can definitely be fulfilling. It’s been Nice chatting with you, and thank you!
 
I don’t mean for this to cause a problem. I don’t even know if I’d be able to take this guy if the owner was going to trust me with him, BUT it’s kind of goofy when there are these threads to rehome a chameleon, especially one as expensive as a panther, and then these ‘new members’ come out of the woodwork offering to take them.

I’d suggest to anyone rehoming a chameleon, at least trust someone that has posted here for a little bit of time and have shown some sort of activity indicating they are here for more than just a free animal.
Just because someone recently found this page doesn’t mean they’re looking for a hand out. I’m on tons of chameleon pages I just never knew this one existed so before you go assuming why don’t you think of it like when you first discovered this page. I’m an animal lover and I’m not looking for a handout my chameleon I had recently passed away due to age and am simply looking for another and this is the first post I’ve seen. I have lots of experience with reptiles and am very capable of caring for a chameleon, the cage I have you could fit. And I have plenty of money for vet care. So please kindly stop making assumptions
 
Just because someone recently found this page doesn’t mean they’re looking for a hand out. I’m on tons of chameleon pages I just never knew this one existed so before you go assuming why don’t you think of it like when you first discovered this page. I’m an animal lover and I’m not looking for a handout my chameleon I had recently passed away due to age and am simply looking for another and this is the first post I’ve seen. I have lots of experience with reptiles and am very capable of caring for a chameleon, the cage I have you could fit. And I have plenty of money for vet care. So please kindly stop making assumptions
Maybe read my posts to get better clarification as to why he would have posted what he did. Which in no way was a rude comment. But when you have been an active member in this forum for as long as we have you see a lot of stuff happen that should not. I am sure you are active in other places and since you have experience you have seen how badly things can go when people pop up wanting a free animal. He was making a valid recommendation to the OP of this thread and anyone that is looking to rehome.
 
Just because someone recently found this page doesn’t mean they’re looking for a hand out. I’m on tons of chameleon pages I just never knew this one existed so before you go assuming why don’t you think of it like when you first discovered this page. I’m an animal lover and I’m not looking for a handout my chameleon I had recently passed away due to age and am simply looking for another and this is the first post I’ve seen. I have lots of experience with reptiles and am very capable of caring for a chameleon, the cage I have you could fit. And I have plenty of money for vet care. So please kindly stop making assumptions
No one is doubting your abilities as a keeper. More so rubs me wrong when new faces that don’t contribute pop up for the free animal. It happens every time. Now it’s totally possible it’s a coincidence and my assumption is wrong, but sometimes as a general rule of thumb it’s safer to live by making judgement calls… so no one takes that wrong, I mean as an example, there are ways to look out for scammers online. Is everyone that falls under that criteria a scammer though, nope. BUT most are…
 
Back
Top Bottom